Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Worst Parents - Ever

That's it. I'm going to start giving Ella Coke in her bottle and just let her roam around in a diaper all day. Everyone makes fun of Brittany for being a bad mom...

It all started with Ella's first trip out into the real world that didn't involved a relative's house for Christmas. We met friends at Old Chicago when Ella was mere days old. Upon returning to our car, we realized we'd left the headlights on and the battery was dead. We had to call AAA to get our battery jumped while I walked around Northtown Mall with our newborn to keep her out of the cold - praying she wouldn't wake up and want to be fed (we weren't on the bottle then).

Fast forward nearly six months. I brought Ella to visit Loran at 3M at the end of his workday so we could see his office and get a little tour. We walked through the quad to where Loran was parked and he was going to drive me back to my car, quite a bit away. We arrived at the car and realized - being the super geniuses we are - we didn't have a car seat. We had a base in Loran's car, but the car seat was still in my car. I'd removed Ella from the car seat, placed her in the stroller and ventured off. Well now we can't go back through the buildings because they're closed and I've handed in my security badge. The walk seemed far with the chilly temps. So, we did what any sensible family in the 1950s would have done. We put Ella on my lap, in the backseat (so any deploying airbag wouldn't smack her in the face). I had her sit between my legs on the seat (so no one walking to their car would see I had a baby that wasn't properly restrained) and I placed the seat belt across her chest under her armpits - as if that would help. We carefully drove over to the other parking lot, never leaving the 3M campus and got Ella properly restrained.

We both feel like idiots. I'm strangely surprised we haven't done this already considering how we're always taking cars places, meeting up, switching cars, etc.

No comments: