We spent a fantastic four days in Orange County, California. We were there for the first Mommy Summit. Back when I was pregnant, I frequented an internet board through Baby Center and one of those groups consisted of first time moms due in December of '07. Eventually, a group of us decided to start our own private group consisting of 20 or so women. We've really grown as friends through our shared pregnancies, births and raising of our wonderful December babies (a few came early and a few came late so we're really November - January). We've been together through sleepless nights, babies in the NICU, marital problems, cancer scares, first teeth, first steps, first birthdays and everything in between.
Quite a few months ago, we decided to set up a meeting date. The location was Southern California since three of the mommies already live near there. So, we were off - perfect timing too since we woke up on Thursday morning to -4 temps.
We flew in Thursday night and eventually got into our room around 10:30. Of course, in Ella time, that was 12:30am. She was pretty wound up and unable to fall asleep, so for the first time since infant-hood, she had to fall asleep in our bed, between Mommy and Daddy. Eventually, she was placed in the Pack and Play so we could actually get some sleep.
Friday was a great day of sight-seeing. We went to a nearby arboretum and enjoyed flowers, cactus, butterflies, orange trees, green grass, palm trees, redwoods, running water and SUN! After Ella's nap, we checked out Laguna Beach and then had an important meeting with the Mommies! We met KC, Jake, Lael and Jude at Chuck-E-Cheese. It was so much fun to meet and I felt like I was seeing old friends. The boys had a great time roaming around and riding rides. Ella did not. Chuck-E-Cheese was a little overstimulating for her. The lights and sounds were freaking her out and she was highly clingy. She did eat her first pizza piece though - so that's major in this household, in fact, it's more of a life skill.
Friday's Fun
Saturday we met at an outdoor mall. This was also our first time meeting Kandyce, Raul and Julian. The kids rode the carousel and enjoyed the outdoor fountains. Ella was more herself, so that was a relief! Ella eventually conked out in her stroller so we were back to our hotel for lunch and naps. After naps, we met everyone at Crystal Cove for a hike. Loran and I saw a whale! Once everyone was situated, we were off...with a stop at the Shake Shack for some provisions! We went down to the beach and the kids played in the sand. Ella actually did well with the sand, I thought she might find it too "icky" to touch but she was loving it - to the point that she was eating it - mmmmm....salty! After the beach, we headed over to KC's house for some dinner, including some diaper-only spaghetti eating!
Saturday's Shenanigans
Sunday we were off to the desert. Our little family stopped at a park in 1000 Palms. It was such a neat park. I was expecting to see some dinosaurs walking around. We walked about a mile to an oasis where there was a little pond surrounded by palm trees in the middle of the desert. It was so gorgeous. I was very happy it was 67 degrees and breezy. Even with those temps, it was HOT - of course, that may have been my Minnesota blood coming through.
After our jaunt in the desert, we drove to Teresa and Jim's house where we met Zach. Everyone else was there and we had an awesome cookout in their yard. It was a blast to be with such great friends and such amazing children! :) Ella had woken up with a cold, so she was a little watery and drippy, but still in a great mood.
After the cookout, we said our goodbyes to everyone and headed off towards our hotel. We stopped at Newport Beach to watch the waves and take a walk around town. Ella got pieces of her sugar donut and was a happy, drippy, little girl on her Daddy's back. Then it was back to the hotel to eat our dinner of In-N-Out Burger and pack.
Sunny Sunday
Monday, as we drove back to San Diego to catch our flight, we stopped at LaJolla. This is one of my favorite places - and where I want to retire. We had to make the requisite stop to Children's Beach - which isn't as it seems based on the name. It's a little beach sheltered by breakers that was designed for children to swim...until the seals found it. Now it belongs to them and there's no swimming (not that you'd want to). There are seals all over the beach and their little heads can be seen bobbing around the water surrounding. It's pupping season so there were a lot of babies to see!
We arrived to the airport early, and made it to our gate without stress (not an easy feat for us) so we were feeling good about our flight home. Ella started strong, played a bit, had some snacks and eventually got a little riled up so Loran cuddled her to sleep. She took a great nap and woke up to eat strawberries and goldfish crackers (this becomes important - otherwise I wouldn't bore you with meal details). As we were descending into Minneapolis, Ella suddenly became that baby on the flight that everyone dreads. The screamer. Because of her cold, our usually awesome flier, became a holy terror. She screamed for a half hour - and if you know Ella, you know she's not a screamer, so she was in definite pain. We couldn't get her to suck on her cup, which was frustrating and she wouldn't suck on Chewy's ears. So she sat there crying, and I sat there crying out of embarrassment and the sadness of knowing she was in pain. And of course, when we thought it couldn't get any worse - Ella cried to the point of barfing. She threw up all over (mostly on herself) so there we were, smelling like berries, goldfish and barf...crying and miserable. Once we landed, I had a half naked, happier baby. I couldn't get off the plane fast enough - I felt SO bad. At least when we landed, it was still 67 degrees - almost warmer than our time in CA!
Manic Monday
Now of course, Ella's still on California time. Which is great when she sleeps in until 10 am. Not so great when she thinks her new bedtime is 11 pm... but, it's helping us get lunch in her before naptime, so we've got that going for us!
The weekend was awesome. It was so much fun to see everyone's child and meet the women I've come to love like sisters. We all get along wonderfully, the talk came easily and the comfort level was amazing. I was so happy to have been part of the first of many Mommy Summits!
-------------------
And really, what is up with this Pull-Ups Potty Dance commercial? It has to the most annoying thing I've ever seen - and I was a teacher, I've seen some annoying things!












1 comment:
I also thought it was important for Ella to see where America ends and where not-America begins.
Post a Comment