Monday, August 9, 2010

Will Run for Pants

In April, I started something unbelievable. I joined a running club called Moms on the Run. I've always said, I'm not a runner. I'm probably still not a runner, but more of a jogger or when it's really hot, a shuffler. But, I'm doing it. When we started, we'd run for a minute and walk for 3 and repeat that 7 times - otherwise known as 1:3x7. It was hard. I'd be breathing pretty hard after that one minute. Tonight, we've reached the week of 15:2x2 - yes, that's running for 15 minutes!! And, I'm not dreading it. I've dreaded every single run until last week. I should have hated last week, we ran for ten minutes, the heat index was in the 100s and I had the jogging stroller, but I didn't. I don't dread this week even though it's 15 minutes with heat indexes still in the 100s.

When I started, I had a bridesmaid dress I had to fit into. I'd think of that dress hanging in the bedroom on every run. I had to fit into it. I did not fit in it when I ordered it about a month after Lillian was born. But, the wedding has passed...where has my motivation been? It's been in my capris. I bought some jean capris in the spring that I didn't fit into. After awhile, I fit into them and I've enjoyed wearing them all summer. But guess what, they're getting too big! I'm now down two pant sizes. I'm back to wearing my pre-Lily pants, less than six months after Lily's birth. If I dropped one more size, I'd be in pre-Ella pants. But pre-Ella, I wore juniors sizes and now that I've had two babies and my body has morphed, juniors sizes fit a little ridiculous on me. I'm okay with that.

I still don't love running, but I love how I feel after it. I love the results. I love looking down at my iPod and seeing that I've run 11 minute miles and burned 300-400 calories in a half hour. I love that my pants are getting looser, I love that my clothes fit better. I love that I can get off the floor without a lot of effort. I love feeling healthy for my babies. So, I guess...I love running?

2 comments:

Larsica said...

That is awesome. You're motivating me now, I may have to go on a run later... maybe. Congrats hot mama!

manda said...

Congrats, lady! I love that you love to be healthy for your girls. You are setting an excellent example. Even if you don't like running, you like being active and feeling good. That can be walks, chasing each other around the park, and maybe even hooping when the girls are big enough (I have an adult-size water-weighted hoop, it's amazing for your midsection, hooping is fun for everyone!) Congrats again!