Ella started school the day after we got back from Montana – on my birthday nonetheless. Loran went to work late so he could be part of her first day and help my mental health in dealing with aging and my first baby going off to school. (I only cried when we pulled into the parking lot and pulled it together immediately) Ella’s Montessori school has a phase-in schedule where the students go in growing increments every day. The idea is that they leave wanting more and are excited to come back. It’s worked well. The first day, after 40 minutes, when the teachers told Ella it was time to get ready to go, she said, “No!” The second day, after 50 minutes, she elaborated a bit more and said, “No, I stay.” She was very excited for the day when she got to stay with the older children too.
Ella’s first day was very exciting. She was thrilled for school. We’ve visited several times and Ella seems very comfortable with the teachers. The first few days, only the new students were at the school and the older pros arrived as the new ones were leaving. It was wonderful that Ella and the other new students were able to get some quiet time with the teachers all to themselves to learn the routines and classroom. Ella chatted all the way to school and when we got there, was all smiles. Once we got there, she was very excited until we reached the door, then the brakes went on. She attempted to push me in first. But once in, they helped her put her school shoes on and she was ready to get started. When we picked her up, the report was all good. They even mentioned Ella’s love for talking and repeating new words!
By the middle of the second week, Ella was able to stay the entire day, with all of her friends. She loves her school so much, it’s just precious. Some mornings, she cries when I drop her off, but it’s mostly for show. From my teaching days, I know it’s best to just dump and run. I give her a kiss and walk out the door. It seems to heartless, but I know the sooner I leave, the sooner she’ll be over the sadness. And it’s true, she’s usually done crying within a minute. At the end of her day, while I wait to pick her up, I see her chatting up her teachers and friends with a smile that consumes her face.
Ella is not a morning person. The first few days of school, I would attempt to wake her up, and like a teenager, she’d grumble and roll over while pulling her blanket over her head. I don’t know where she learns this stuff. But now that she’s used to her earlier bedtime and wake time, she’s actually been waking up before I’m even ready for her! Lily loves that she can now get up early. She, by contrast, is an early bird and is so happy to be able to rise and shine…and even earlier than Ella and even sooner than I’m ready for.
I’ve only had two pick-ups wherein I’ve had to walk away with a bag of wet pants. Using the potty has been going a bit better, if anything, Ella has learned how to “hold it” while at school. We’ll get there, but at least I haven’t had to do the laundry every day after school! I’m so proud of her, but I’ve made sure she’s well stocked in extra big girl underwear.
On Tuesdays Ella gets to stay through lunch to 2:30. This week was her first day staying late. I have to admit, it was a little strange to pack her lunch for school. I’d done it a few times for drop-in childcare, but this was different. Ella picked out her lunch box during our back to school shopping and she just adores it. We had zero tears at drop off. The lunch box holds extra magical brave powers. Ella gripped the handle with both hands, had her shoulders tucked back and walked into school proud as can be. She was so excited to show off her lunch box and was telling anyone who would listen, “It’s so cute!” She loved staying for lunch with everyone and twenty minutes before I was to pick her up, I got a phone call that she had fallen asleep with some of the other extended day children. When I picked her up, she was passed out, face down on the little cot. I think it’s safe to say that she’s comfortable at school.
I love the look on Ella’s face when I tell her she gets to go to school, she even cheers! She tells me all about her teachers and we’re hearing bits and pieces of poems and songs she’s learning. In the last two weeks, we’ve seen tremendous changes in her. She’s so much more helpful, washes her hands like a pro, introduces herself to us and more. That’s just two weeks, I’m excited to see what the year will bring. She loves school. We’re so happy with our choice and although, sending her for three hours a day, five days a week seemed like a lot, I wouldn’t want it any other way. She loves the consistency and I get to have some wonderful one-on-one time with Lillian.
We love school!
No comments:
Post a Comment