Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Girl’s Night and Toddler Trouble

Friday night, Loran had plans with high school buddies so I told Ella we would be having a girl’s night. Ella was so excited. I told her we’d watch a movie after Lily went to bed…in Mommy and Daddy’s bed. Her eyes got huge with a matching smile and she said, “WOW! That’s FUN!” I am trying to instill a sense of awe in the girls. I want them to see simple things as wonderful gifts and enjoy the greatness around them. We celebrate little things, like the fun of watching a movie in bed, cuddling. Or really, the idea of watching a movie. We don’t do that very often. Ella leads our dinner prayers and we sometimes stifle giggles as she thanks God for carrots, the clock and “this one” (she says as she points to Lillian). But, Ella’s got it right. There are big ideas to be thankful, ie: food, family, friends and health. But, there are simple items that we should be thankful for: nutritious food, the gift of time and of course, the individuals gathered around our table every night.

Girl’s night lived up to the hype. Ella picked out her pajamas and my pajamas and got nice and cozy in Daddy’s spot. We watched a Veggie Tales movie – her first. I thought she would fall asleep, but no, she was perfectly relaxed, cuddled next to me and watched the three features and sing-a-long songs in-between. And of course, we had our furry side-kick, Lola, cuddled in too.

002IMG00323-20110325-2045

As Lily becomes a more skilled walker, she’s also becoming a more skilled trouble maker. Yesterday, she had left her post at my feet begging to be held while I cooked dinner. While I welcomed the little break from her hanging on me and whining, I had to wonder what was occupying her time. She was gated off from the shoe rearranging, her usual haunt. I found her in the hallway, having shred the toilet paper that had been left on the roll. Luckily, it wasn’t a lot. But, once it’s in small pieces, it becomes a lot! I couldn’t help but smile. But, Lily was scolded with a stern “no” which, collapsed her into tears. She may be a bit head-strong and outgoing, but she hates to disappoint. Hearing no sometimes doesn’t phase her when it’s related to not doing a particular action – like swiping remote controls. But, if she knows you’re disappointed in her behavior, you can see that cut through her little spirit. It is times like those that make it hard to discipline. When you see the hurt in their eyes, but it’s a reminder that we have to teach the little ones now, even when it’s tough so that in the future, they will make good decisions when they’re on their own. I’m assuming I won’t get a call that Lily has shredded all of the toilet paper in the school’s restrooms….but we have to start somewhere.  

 044042 

Oh, the agony of disappointing Mom! Note, Lily has her first ponytail! aka: palm tree!

 

Ella is finally able to hang onto the bar and swing at gymnastics. This was just plain hilarious!

No comments: