Ella's on spring break, so we're finding things to do with the extra time we have together. So far, our favorite activity (it's only Tuesday, mind you) has been puddle jumping. Ella loves puddles and as a mom, I know I should loath them and the terrible mud and laundry and mess they bring. But, I can't. I can't turn my back on a good puddle. Yes, they're messy, but they are so much fun! I'd much rather have Ella jumping in puddles than sitting on the couch watching television. Not that she doesn't have her TV time. I'm not perfect and we love Super Why and Sid the Science Kid. In fact, I'd never get any meals prepared without TV. But puddles...they're just fun! Yesterday, Ella put on her new (used) rain boots and I donned mine and we splashed! We learned that Ella needs actual new rain boots as one of hers leaks, but hey...we had fun! Our jackets went right in the wash when we came in, but that was probably due anyway. Plus, we can spend a spring break outing buying Ella some new rain boots!
This morning, I had my usual MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) meeting. Ella has never been there because she's always been in school. Today she got to attend Moppets. I was explaining to her that she would go in the Zebra room and Lily goes in the Tiger room. All morning, she repeated everyone's assignments. "I'm a zebra, Lily's a tiger, I'm a zebra, Lily's a tiger...Mommy's a PIG!" ... Thanks Ella. I told her, that I was actually a MOP. Not sure that's any better, but now she's calling me a mop, which I prefer over pig.
Our speaker today was a nutritionist who spoke on eating clean and healthy. While I feel we're doing better than we had previously, we still have quite a ways to go. It's not cheap to buy the healthy, organic, non-processed foods, but health care isn't cheap either. I guess I'd rather spend the money up front on prevention rather than spend it on curing problems. I'd also rather teach the girls to eat healthy as a natural part of growing up, rather than have them try to teach themselves in the future. I'll be the first to admit, I can't go balls to the wall with healthy eating. I love me some Kraft mac and cheese and Diet Coke. But, I really want to improve. And improving is better than declining.
My second year of Moms on the Run (or Mommy Runs as Ella calls it!) starts in a little over a month! Not nearly as afraid this year. I signed up for the intermediate level rather than beginner. That does frighten me a little. However, I dropped three pants sizes last year, if that happens again, you won't be able to see me if I turn sideways!
Let's go health!

1 comment:
Good for you going healthy!! Your family can only benefit. I'm not sure if you've heard of these books before but I highly recommended them. The Sneaky Chef. They have some for kids and some for adults. They teach you how to sneak healthy foods into your regular recipes so that your eaters don't know the difference. Like you, I love mac and cheese. Sneaky chef sneaks cauliflower into the recipe and I'd never know! It's about sneaking the healthy stuff in without changing the color or texture. I make the Sneaky Burgers exclusively in our house, and I sneak carrots into anything with a red sauce and no one knows. Don't get me wrong, we eat LOTS of healthy food, without being sneaky. But sneaky recipes to make the "crap" I like better, I don't have to totally give up eating said crap.
Post a Comment