Thursday, May 19, 2011

The 15 Month Over and Under

Lillian had her 15 month appointment on Monday. It was quick and easy, at least for those of us not receiving three shots…however, Lillian is a champ and took them in stride with only a little bit of screaming.

Now that Lily is walking, she is long and lean to the extreme. Her stats are as follows:

Height: 32 3/4 inches (100+%)

Weight: 19 1/4 pounds (less than 5%)

Now Lillian has fallen off of her growth curve for weight. However, the doctor says she is perfect! She basically said that anytime Lily is awake, she should have milk in one hand an a cheese stick in the other. She, like Ella, has the doctor’s orders to eat more fat! Butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, oils…on everything. It’s a dream diagnosis for the rest of us. That doesn’t mean it’s Twinkie time, we’re still trying to put those fats on healthy foods. It is challenging however. Given the fact that America is generally obese, it would seem like it would be easy to buy some fattier quality foods, but it’s so hard. Everything is made to be low or no fat. That’s not acceptable for the girls. Oftentimes, if I’m at a store that actually carries whole milk yogurt, it’s expired, and still on the grocery shelf. So, I’m digging through yogurt containers trying to find some fatty goodness that doesn’t expire tomorrow or yesterday. I did happen to find a great website that had great ideas for bulking up a low-weight toddler. We’re trying to escape that pesky “failure to thrive” title at 18 months. The doctor isn’t worried, we’re not worried, but it is certainly a wake-up call that we can be doing better at helping Lillian gain weight. I haven’t been working at it as hard as I did with Ella, so now it’s Lily’s turn for some high fat goodness!

IMG00426-20110517-1546

Anyone with a low weight toddler can benefit from this site. With Ella, I was searching high and low for some information like this! Behold, High Calorie Foods for Toddlers!

I read this tip all over and have started implementing it – Lillian is now getting whole milk WITH half and half! If you have a normal-weight toddler, your mouth is probably on the floor having read that. But, when your 15 month old baby’s 12 month pants still fall down, despite being too short – the idea of even drinking 2% milk is laughable.

Lillian was called precocious by the doctor because of her crazy skills, including her vocabulary. She’s becoming a little chatter box, saying: Momma, Dada, Ella, Lola, water, signs for milk, bottle, bubble, up, baby, bye, hi, ball, diaper, yum and a few more that I’m forgetting…

The last few days have been a challenge. As if shots weren’t enough, Lily is also teething and has a cold. And, Loran’s out of town. But, she’s now on the upswing and the spark has returned to her eyes. All in all, we’re pretty proud of our little peanut!

No comments: