Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Daddy’s Day

As posted earlier, our Father’s Day started with some excitement of the disgusting kind. We cleaned up our act – literally…and got the day started right. Some baked oatmeal for Daddy, some relaxation and some steaks with the extended family at Great Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Everything was working out well, a nice, relaxing day of family and celebrating dads.

001 

Loran and I tucked ourselves into bed, did the usual reading before sleep for quite awhile. Finally, around 11:30, we decided to call it a night. Lights clicked off and then we heard this odd scratching noise on the screen. We both stirred, it was just too odd of a sound to ignore. I was hoping it was just those disgusting June Bugs. Loran throws open the curtain and looks all over the window and screens. I grabbed my nightstand lamp and aimed it at the window like a giant flashlight, we didn’t see anything so he closed the curtains. I wasn’t satisfied however, so I moved the curtain over, closest to my head to peek out. And there it was. In the house. On the screen. A foot from my head. A BAT!!! I whipped the curtain shut and freaked out!

Loran jumped into action. The man who hates insects is able to summon incredible strength when it comes to defending his family. He traps mice and now bats without flinching. Loran locked me in the office, locked the girls in their room and armed with a coffee can, he went in to do battle with the bat. He trapped it, put the lid on the can, removed the screen and threw the entire can out the window. The lid came off mid-flight and the bat flew away unharmed. Our hero!!!

I grabbed a flashlight and scouted out the rest of the upstairs, especially the girls’ room. Everything checked out. There is one area where we think it may have come in, under the door to one of our storage areas. I noticed the gap on the bottom was about 1.5 inches. Definitely space enough for a bat to crawl in. You’d better believe that I used about half a roll of mailing tape sealing up that door. Nobody big or small will get through that door. Ever again. One week later, no bats. And you’d better believe I’ve checked thoroughly every single night. Of course, sleep was not easy to come by once we decided to head back to bed around 12:30 am. Finally, I had to bring Lola in to sleep next to me. She and Loran were completely sacked out, but it made me feel better. I nearly sweat to death with the covers pulled up to my neck, but I was just covering my bases.

So, the start of Father’s Day was literally crappy, the end was batty – thankfully, the rest of the day was great. And Loran certainly earned his “World’s Best Dad” title for another consecutive year.

007

No comments: