Not everyday is filled with over-the-top activity. Our regular life is pretty basic. Here’s what we’re up to when we aren’t having grand adventures…
Bubbles
We’re big on bubbles at our house. Because of that, we’re also big on being covered in bubble solution and we go through quite a bit. But, bubbles are a sure-fire smile maker at our house. Both girls love blowing and popping them and it gets them outside. However, there have been a few emergency indoor bubble situations, like when Ella had an injury we had to tend to.
Ella’s injury
No photos of this one, but Ella basically used our sidewalk as a slip and slide and skinned her knee pretty badly. We spent a lot of time cleaning and soothing her knee. The darn thing just wouldn’t scab over, even when we’d leave it open to the air for hours. Then we’d have something pesky happen, like cooler weather that required pants. At one point, Ella’s bandage had come undone. Clearly, it wasn’t a Nexcare, but inferior generic brand. This caused her owie to adhere to her fleece pants. This is where wet washcloths and bubbles were implemented. Finally, we have a nice scab and Ella is able to walk using her knee, rather than peg-leg style.
Climbing
One day, we were having some threatening weather. I got the girls all settled in for nap when the tornado sirens sounded. While it was sunny, I am not willing to take that chance with their lives. So, off to the basement we went. Once we got the all-clear, we attempted naps again. Everyone was settled and wouldn’t you know, sirens. Once we got the second all-clear I decided to be smart. Since naps were clearly failing, I make a next on the floor out of blankets and pillows and put Toy Story on so the two could at least relax. It worked well. But, once relaxation was over, the pillow nest was an amazing place to play and wrestle. Additionally, Lily figured out that she could place one throw pillow on the floor and it would give her just enough elevation to climb onto the couch. Oh what fun! This became even more handy for Lily’s new fun-time: hauling toys onto the couch so she could toss them off. Wooden puzzles are the best because you can go piece by piece and then toss the entire wooden board at the end for the Grand Finale! Bang, Crash, Boom! Well, she has now evolved beyond needing the pillow. Up on the couches, the dining room chairs, and the new favorite – Ella’s bed. These two now love jumping, bouncing, body slamming, dancing and everything else on Ella’s bed. I know it’s only a matter of time before one of them crashes badly, but at the same time, childhood is only so long and I sure wish I could toss my body around and have fun without the aches and pain.
Naps
Ella may be growing out of nap time. That’s not horrible because I need less of a break from her as I do from Lily. Sorry, but it’s just the truth. Ella is able to play on her own and is somewhat helpful. Lily is just go-go-go-climb-climb-climb, punctuated with shrill screaming that makes me wonder why child protective services hasn’t arrived. Or does everyone realize that her blood curdling screams are over little things, like taking something dangerous away from her, not picking her up immediately, giving her the wrong piece of cheese, not giving her scissors… Anyway, yesterday I learned that Ella can defeat childproof caps when I found her during “nap time” having spilled a nearly empty bottle of baby Tylenol on the wood floor. I knew something was up when as I ascended the stairs it was smelling increasingly fruity. Ella slipped in the tooty fruity goodness, thus covering her in sticky in addition to the floor and banister. Luckily, she hadn’t ingested any. I could tell when I smelled her breath, as it wasn’t fruity, maybe a little tooty. blech. Today, after not napping, she called me upstairs in her sweet little voice so she could show me her poop. I was excited that perhaps she’s finally utilized the potty chair in their room. Nope. She stripped off her underwear in one room and then let it land in the office. She was very proud of herself. Accordingly, I wouldn’t say she’s completely potty trained yet. But the gaps are closing in.
Pet Parade
Our town had a pet parade and we finally attended after several years of good intentions. It was great to see the pets and the girls brought their own pets, a stuffed dog and penguin. Our cats and bird weren’t willing to make the journey.
Fish
Too late for the pet parade, but we got a new fish. Beta fish 3.0. We call him Jumpy. He has had an excited start in our family. We went to Pet Smart to acquire the fish. Ella was proudly carrying her fish in its plastic container, when fifteen feet later, she dropped it, shattered the plastic and left the fish flopping on the floor. Rather than feel terror over dropping her fish, she realized she had just created a puddle. Oh joy! I had to stop her from stomping in her puddle and therefore ending our fish adventure. I used some of the shattered container to scoop up Jumpy and found an employee to explain that “we have a situation”. He quickly got Jumpy situated in a bag and we were on our way – with me in charge of Jumpy’s bag. Now he’s all settled and both girls are in love.
Outside
We play outside a lot, in our yard mostly. We have ordered a swing set – shhh…don’t tell the girls! It’s on its way. We take bike rides with the girls in the Burley. They act tortured, but they secretly like it. We joined the Y, so we go swimming every so often. We visit our local parks and both girls are having so much fun all around the playground. It’s a blast! Ella is in gymnastics for the summer. She’s no longer in the parent/child class. She’s solo in Mini 1. So far, she’s doing great, but since she’s on her own, we can’t see much of the action. She sure loves it though!
Now I’m off to pack the girls up into the car to pick up our CSA box-o-vegetable goodness. I have running tonight, and the air is starting to feel swampy, so I’m not exactly jumping at the bit to go. Last week it was cold and down pouring, so I stayed home like a big chicken. But, I think I have to face the necessary evil that is heat.

No comments:
Post a Comment