My Monday and Tuesday in Santiago were mostly spent on my own. Loran was off to 3M for his meetings. Monday was just like a typical day at home. Sleep in until 9, head up to the restaurant for my breakfast buffet and then down to the spa for my massage. Oh, the life…
Seriously, best massage ever. The masseuse even massaged my eye lids. However, one has to remember that South Americans don’t have the body issues that many of us do and therefore, you need to leave all modesty at the door. In the US, when I’ve had a massage, the masseuse leaves as you undress to your comfort level and then before they return, you cozy yourself under eight layers of sheets/blankets. At any given point, about two square inches of skin is exposed. My Chilean experience was totally different. Thankfully, I’ve had two children and therefore, I have no issues with displaying my body to a “professional” because the masseuse didn’t leave as I disrobed (and to call it a robe is a stretch) and then I was discreetly covered with a towel the size of a hand towel. But, I just decided that I had to just let go and enjoy the experience, even if it was nothing like anything I’ve done. And it was SO worth it. And, it cost less than a massage in the US, including tip. BONUS!
I did have some domestic duties to attend to. We had laundry that we’d dropped off on Saturday morning that needed to be picked up. So I set off into the big city to pick up my undies. I found that and was able to attend to that chore without having to use much of my broken Spanish. Then I was off to a cafe for lunch and people watching. I dropped my giant package of laundry off at the hotel and set off exploring again. I found a park running along the river and there was a section that featured sculptures of all sorts.
I had to wrap up my exploring to get ready for dinner with the whole 3M crew. We went to the top of the giant hill behind our hotel again to a beautiful restaurant with amazing views of the entire city. It was a great meal, surrounded by great people. It was wonderful to meet everyone Loran had been working with and see the amazing team that has come together in part because of the big ideas Loran had two years ago. Everyone is just amazing.
Tuesday was our eighth anniversary and a big day. Loran was working and I was packing up our bags. Additionally, I had the big task of spending $21,300 which sounds amazingly fun, that translates to about $46 US. In other words, it was gift buying time for the girls. I headed towards their mall. It was two floors of a skyscraper and the stores were tiny. But, I wish I had more money and more luggage space because they had cute clothes at great prices. But, I found myself blowing money at an adorable little girl shop called Limonada – each girl was getting an adorable little purse and hair accessories.
Once back at the hotel, I spent a little time relaxing, finally working on Lily’s Christmas stocking (seriously). I called down to the desk to get some help with our luggage. Apparently, that didn’t translate well. They sent an older man with a tool box thinking I needed help opening my bags…once that was straightened out, I was on my way.
The 3M driver picked me up and we had no troubles this time! He brought me to the 3M site in Santiago. It was fun to see, especially compared to being at HQ so many times. I also like the palm trees and pregnant woman parking out front. And, in true 3M fashion, it was seventies inspired. After saying our goodbyes, we were off to the airport. We did witness two mopeds collide in the rush hour traffic. It was kind of funny, and only because both were fine. The traffic was especially heavy because everyone was trying to get home for yet another Copa America soccer game that Chile was playing in. The excitement was palpable.
Once at the airport, while checking into our flight, we were informed that unfortunately our flight had been overbooked. Due to this, we were going to have to be moved. To first class. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! FIRST CLASS ON AN INTERNATIONAL, OVERNIGHT FLIGHT?! YES PLEASE! I was completely geeked out. Even Loran, who frequently gets upgraded hadn’t expected this, as he isn’t eligible for first class upgrades typically on international flights. We got all settled in our recliner like seats, complete with quilted blankets, full size pillows, entertainment system with touch screens and a fancy meal – with courses. I have to say, flying overnight in a recliner is not a bad gig. I will happily take one for the team like that anytime. In fact, we had paid for their economy plus seats allowing us more recline and foot room and Delta refunded that money! What?!
Once back in MSP, we were tired, excited to see our girls and ready to be home. As we retrieved our bags, our “wine” bag that held our two black jackets and a case of wine was wet and smelled like a college girl on a Thursday night. Clearly, we’d lost at least one of our bottles, just how many was the question. We wheeled our wine-y bag away to check things out. Thankfully, only one soul was lost on the flight. Loran’s suitcase (which is his travel bag for work) is still in the process of sobering up. We were able to enjoy some of our wine at our party on Friday and have a couple of bottles still to enjoy.
The girls were very excited to see us, lots to say and lots of cuddles. I was expecting they’d be happy to see us initially but then unleash their crabbiness over us being gone so long. Fortunately, there was none of that, just happy girls and happy parents to be reunited with them. What a great eight years it has been and what adventures we’ve had near and far.
No comments:
Post a Comment