Monday, August 1, 2011

Beach Party

It’s been hot this summer, stinkin’, sweaty, sweltering hot. But after this horribly long, cold, snowy winter, who’s complaining? Not this girl! We’re finding lots of fun and not letting the tropical dew points keep us indoors.

iphone 027

I purchased an inflatable pool for the girls after discovering our plastic one had a hole. I didn’t think this would be such a difficult task. I just wanted a simple, medium sized pool that was cute and non threatening. That proved difficult. The store I was at had three pool styles. One was a mean looking shark with its mouth open wide to display rows and rows of teeth. The second was a frightening alligator, that once again had the tooth baring issue. Thankfully, there was a nice, friendly whale with no teeth and a smile. Apparently, other parents had the same thought as me because there was only one left, and it was ours. And wouldn’t you know, I got it blown up and the first thing Ella says, “That’s scary!” Ugh. Can’t win, but what she doesn’t know is that she could have been swimming in the jaws of a shark, so buck up.

031032

I set the pool up on the covered deck so it would be sheltered from leaves, falling sticks and other dangers of playing under a giant, old oak tree. Despite being “scary” the pool has been quite the hit. Ella calls it her “beach party!” Luckily they play really well together in the pool with some mutual splashing and water pouring on the head.

034 019

021   033

Our summer Y membership also came with a free session of swimming lessons. We debated on whether Lily should get baby/parent lessons or if Ella should get some lessons. We decided Ella would get some beginner swimming lessons, without a parent in the water. There was slight guilt over not doing the baby/parent class with Lily like we’d done with Ella. But that’s just playing in the water and getting them used to the water. With the Y membership, we’re able to go swimming and do basically that with Lily, and she loves it, no worries over getting Lily comfortable in the water! Ella is enrolled as a Sunfish, taking classes twice a week for six weeks. She is absolutely in love with her teacher, Claire. Unfortunately, after the first lesson, Claire went on vacation. Ella did well with the substitutes, but she already misses Claire after their one lesson together. I do too. Claire is very outgoing and her spunk works well with Ella’s cautiousness. Claire could get Ella to try almost anything without Ella resisting. One of the subs asked me how Ella’s demeanor was in the water. I replied that she’s EXTREAMELY cautious. (with everything). A trait that will hopefully keep her out of trouble, but hopefully won’t hold her back from accomplishing what she wants. She’s doing great in her lessons. There is one other little girl in the lessons too. I couldn’t be happier, six weeks of lessons and only two students in the class. While it was free for us, the actual retail cost would be $63. Right after we signed up, the local private swimming organization sent us their brochure and I was comparing costs – same number of lessons, semi private class, nearly $500! Granted, their pool is warmer. But, since it’s not a class involving parents, what do I care?! :) Ella hasn’t batted an eye at getting in the water, so she’s not too bothered by the pool temp. And really, it’s 97 degrees outside, we love any excuse to be in the pool indoors or out. In important, lifelong lessons to learn, Ella has learned the hard way not to run on the pool deck or in the locker room after a pretty impressive wipe-out in the locker room. In other locker room awkwardness, Ella, in her ever expanding kindness and compassion towards others, approached a rather large, naked woman in the locker room to inquire if she was cold…That’s my girl, looking out for others…

 iphone 011 iphone 015

iphone 018 iphone 019

No comments: