Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sophomore Year of Preschool

It was the night before back to school. After a long Labor Day weekend, we were tucking into some hot, homemade chili for dinner to complement the chill in the air. Lily was actually taking a bonus nap because of a cold she had woken up with so the three of us were enjoying some conversation. We were just chit-chatting when Ella, out of the blue, boldly announces, “I’m not going to college.” We both stopped, stared at her and laughed. It really was quite funny. I asked her what her plans were if she didn’t go to college, to which she calmly replied, “I’m going to a different kind of school.” Whatever Ella, just don’t expect to live in my basement when you’re 40.

006002 

Enjoying the last lazy day of summer break

The subject of back to school has actually been a touchy one with Ella. When we have talked about it, she has been adamant in telling me she was going to cry when she went back. She was extra cranky about it last night. On a typical day, I could dress Ella in a sack and she probably wouldn’t care. Last night, we set out to pick out her back to school outfit and I was showered with shouts of, “No! I don’t like it! New one!” Over and over. She was just grumpy. Luckily, Ella and Croupy McGee were in bed by 8 and not heard from until the morning…at least that we’d care to acknowledge (Lily still randomly cries at night for a minute before passing out again).

The next morning, both girls woke on their own and were happy as can be. Ella seemed excited to go to school and after many photos, we were in the car and very giddy for school. Ella eagerly waited outside for the younger friends to finish their session and was happy to walk in and see her teachers, friends and get back into the routine. Once she found her new spot for her shoes and jacket, she was off!

017iphone 033  

019 026

Because they phase-in, Ella’s first day of school was only 55 minutes. Lily and I saw this as the perfect time to run home and pack some snacks and drinks for our afterschool adventure. When we arrived home, Lily asked, “Where’s Ella?” it actually sounds like “Ah, Ehwa?” but paired with the shrugged shoulders and open hands, I knew exactly what she meant. When I told her Ella was at school, TEARS and TANTRUM. Lily laid in front of the door screaming until I finally peeled her off the floor and gave her a cup of milk and held her while I packed our snack. A couple of fruit leathers later, Lily was happy and we were off to pick up her beloved Ella.

Ella emerged from school very happy and excited about her day. She was very chatty in the car and even told me about parts of her day. This is a new thing, and I savored it!

028 031

We were then off to our annual first day of school trip to the zoo. I’ve found it’s quite possibly the best day of the year to go. You have the whole place to yourself, the weather is usually perfect and only a few attractions are closed down for the season. This year, more seemed to be open because we were able to get some lunch, pose by some statues and see a few more animals than prior years. In fact, the animals were more active rather than their typical heat induced coma. A good time was had by all.

iphone 037040

041047049

051055

Both girls fell asleep on the way home and Lily, thankfully, transferred to her crib (pack and play – I’m actually painting her crib white) and napped a couple more hours. Ella cozied onto the couch for quiet time with a Veggie Tales movie with a giant smile on her face. Life is good when you’re an Ella. I think Ella is back to enjoying school, and possibly higher education. Only time will tell.

060

No comments: