Monday, October 24, 2011

Curly Girl’s First Haircut

Back to reality, Monday morning, we were the first customers at 9am at Kid’s Hair. Lillian was very excited for her haircut. She kept pointing to her hair, saying “hair” and insisted she carry her pumpkin bucket with her – a girl’s gotta accessorize.

It became quite clear that Lillian did not actually know what a haircut was. She was all smiles until she was placed in the chair and strapped in. Why strapped? Because otherwise, Lillian would have thrown herself to the floor at a desperate attempt to escape the sheers. Those straps work well. She had Sesame Street on the television (that the other stylist tried desperately to turn on as fast as humanly possible) and I held her hand/held her down for the bangs – yet the entire time, she screamed at the top of her little lungs, “HELP!!” It was kind of funny. I was even prepared with the real camera, but couldn’t let go of her long enough to get it, but had my phone in my pocket, so these images will have to capture the four minutes that was Lillian’s first haircut.

 007 009

Thankfully, the stylists at Kid’s Hair are amazing, patient and best of all – FAST and accurate. I wouldn’t trust myself with a scissors around Lillian’s squirming, writhing, screaming body – heck, I can’t even cut my own bangs straight (the few times I’ve attempted) yet despite the carnage, she emerges with straight bangs.

010 011 013

The reward for her haircut – her first sucker. Apparently, she was born with the inherent knowledge of how to eat a sucker. She did, however, give me pieces of mushy stick during our following shopping trip. Not one stick. I slowly, over the course of the trip, received sucker stick parts, from the inside of her mouth as she’d eventually fish them out. Because as all moms know, your hands become the receptacle for spit out food/objects, garbage and vomit. The glamour of motherhood is almost too much, I should stop listing all of the perks before others rush out to have more babies.

014 016

In the end, we’ve cleaned up the curls a bit – but don’t worry, the curl remains! I had the stylist give her bangs. Despite always saying I’d never saddle my child with bangs, I think Lillian’s curly/wavy/double cow-lick hair works well with bangs. I can’t get her to keep her ponytail/palm trees in, barrettes, clips or headbands in and she’s always trying to get the hair out of her face. She looks much better and a little less wacky.

I have my little envelope of keepsake, first haircut hair that the salon sent me home with. I didn’t get choked up or teary like I did with Ella’s first cut (in my defense, I was highly pregnant at the time). It’s still bittersweet to get that first cut, but I’ve already unsealed the envelope to admire those golden brown curls. Lillian’s baby hair! awwww!

No comments: