Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Rootin’ Tootin’ Good Time

Given the girls’ love of all things Toy Story, I thought it would be fun to have a combined birthday party for them this year, rather than two separate parties. It seemed easiest to just split the difference between their two birthdays and have the party mid-January. Less stress than trying to throw a party right before Christmas and then recreating the same party with a different theme two months later. The doctor gave us the okay to have the party, given Lillian’s hospitalization a few days prior. I tried to keep the party prep low stress, but was feeling some stress having lost two of my prep days to the hospital and another half a day to pink eye and prescription acquisition. But, by Friday evening, we were ready for Saturday’s party!

IMG_0993P1030475IMG_0995

There was a Toy Story/cowgirl theme. The girls had Toy Story shirts (from the boy’s department) which a girlied up with coordinating tutu/legging bottoms. And, I found some amazing little pink cowgirl boots on clearance for each girl. Giddy-up! We invited everyone to our ranch for a lunch fit for a cowpoke: chili and cornbread and instead of cake, I’d made Jessie’s Cowgirl Hat Cookies!

IMG_5471IMG_0984

The girls were busy taking in the decorations over breakfast (Lily in Toy Story pajamas!)

The party was great. Loran and I were able to just stand back and watch the two cowgirls party it up. We didn’t have to worry about taking care of them, feeding them, cleaning them, etc. They were content to mingle on their own and work the crowd.

IMG_5476IMG_5478IMG_5483IMG_5488IMG_5490P1030484P1030477

IMG_5495

The girls received amazing gifts and have been so busy since their party trying everything out. We have a little baby nursery set up in our living room, they’ve been using their new cleaning implements non-stop and when they need a break, I can find them curled up on a couch reading or building. And really, since their party, it’s felt like a birthday everyday, as they’ve been decorating pretend cupcakes for Loran and I and singing “Happy Birthday”. In fact, the party decorations are still up, as Loran’s birthday was Wednesday. He left for a business trip that day, so we’re on hold before we can celebrate him upon his return on Friday.

 

IMG_5498IMG_5522IMG_5529IMG_5528

My favorite moment of the party, right after I’d helped Lillian blow out her candles, Ella reached over, put her hand on Lillian’s shoulder and said in the cheeriest Ella voice, “Happy Birthday Lillian!” It was a little heart melting.

I wasn’t entirely sure how the dual party would go. Ella’s at the age where she could have been a little put out to share the spotlight with her sister. However, they both seemed to love celebrating together. As the party planner, I really enjoyed pooling our resources into one party rather than two, worrying about the weather for one winter party rather than two and cooking for one party theme rather than two. This party sharing may become a trend at our house. They can share their big party with family and/or friends and do something special with just Mom and Dad for their actual birthday. Next year, we might have to think about a friend party since they’ll both be at school together…wow!

Happy birthdays Ella and Lillian!  You have a friend in me! Yee-haw!

No comments: