Wednesday, February 29, 2012

1/2 Snow Day!

We have been hearing about this snow storm for days. The lead up was quite exciting. Then it was being downgraded from snow to rain. What was once predicted to be a foot of snow was turning into a few inches with a lot of rain preceding it. However, what happens when you have a lot of rain before snow? Ice. Yes, lots of ice covered by snow. Fun fact: Loran was out of town. When I went to bed, it was raining and freezing. I fell asleep to the pitter patter of rain on the roof. In February. My eyes popped open with the excitement of a child on Christmas morning…what had happened overnight? I didn’t even need my alarm to wake up. I switched on the television and eagerly awaited as the schools scrolled along the bottom, alphabetically. Slowly. After watching for about 10 minutes, in my sleepy, squinty haze, I was pretty certain I saw Mahtomedi. Which meant that Ella’s school *may* be cancelled. Still, no White Bear Lake. I went downstairs for coffee and a larger television. I should have just checked my email, because there was the official cancellation. Still waiting for White Bear Lake for Ella’s afternoon school…and then the high school bus went by, dashing all dreams of an entire day snow day.

IMG_5958photo 3

photo 5

After a leisurely breakfast, we bundled up and headed outside. Of course, we couldn’t get the front screen door open with all of the wet snow in front of it, so out the back door we went. The snow was about as heavy as concrete. The ice had turned to slush and it was quite wet. The girls had fun tromping around. Lily continues to refuse to wear her mittens, but really enjoys stuffing her hands in her pockets. Which makes me nervous. I can see her running across the sidewalk and wiping out, taking out her front teeth.

IMG_5962IMG_5964

IMG_5969photo 1

I got the driveway cleared with help from the snow blower, a little lunch and we were off to Ella’s afternoon program. Lillian couldn’t believe that she didn’t get to stay, so was sure to throw a tantrum right inside the entranceway. Wish I’d brought the shovel so I could just scoop her up and dump her in the car.

And some videos…

Ella, describing her signature hairstyle.
2 1/2 weeks late, Lillian learns how to say “Valentine’s” which is all she’ll talk about in the last few days.

No comments: