Thursday, November 8, 2012

We’re an Artistic Bunch

IMG_2452IMG_2453IMG_2454

At school, it’s kind of a big deal to bring home a “take-home folder”. When the children complete a project, they have to see if a plastic folder is available to bring their creation home in. There aren’t enough for everyone, so it teaches them the importance of returning their folder, and sometimes how to wait your turn. We don’t see the folder too often, mostly because the girls do a lot of hands-on work, but also because Ella just stock piles things in her mailbox. One day, we had two take-home folders! One for Ella and Lily! It was Lily’s first time bringing the folder home, she was so excited! Lily’s contained a sheet of rubber stamping she’d completed and colored. Ella’s contained a big project she’d been working on – her bookmark! Ella had used a needle, sewing floss and a lot of patience and finished made her first bookmark with the help of her teachers. We were very excited to see it, it’s a HUGE accomplishment. She is now working on sewing a blindfold with needle, thread and felt. So proud of her!

IMG_2447IMG_2503

IMG_2507IMG_2555

One evening, as Loran and I were leaving for a date night. Lily ran up to the white board at Nana and Papa’s house and drew a face, out of the blue. I have never seen her draw anything intentional. She usually meticulously colors things. Here it was, plain as day, a little face that she drew so easily. Of course, I had to snap a photo. Ella has never been interested in drawing people. Until Lily could. Not to be outshined by her little sister, Ella suddenly took to drawing faces. Luckily, it’s the time of year at school where they make self-portraits to be imprinted on shirts. I was working in the office and was able to snap a little photo of their creations…so funny! Lily’s people have been evolving. They started rudimentary with the head, eyes, nose, and mouth. Within a week, they were sprouting hair, arms, legs and feet. Our driveway is littered with caveman-like drawings of entire families.

IMG_2527IMG_2532

Not to be outdone by my children’s creativity, I attended my annual scrapbooking retreat. Not only did I create some fun pages, I was able to catch up with friends, relax, eat well and ran my furthest distance – five miles with my friend Ellen on the surrounding rolling hills. I now feel pretty confident for the 10K (6.2 miles) I signed up for. However, just because I don’t have to wear blaze orange to enjoy my hobby safely, it is still dangerous. We use sharp instruments, guillotine style paper cutters, and of course there are paper cuts. But I think I took the cake with my head injury. As I was leaving, I had just left the driveway of the retreat house when I pulled over, in front of the house, knowing the rattle my Crockpot was creating would drive me insane for the next hour if I had to listen to it. I adjusted the lid and pulled the rear hatch down. It knocked my glasses off and it came down a little too close for comfort in my haste to get going. When I got back into the car, I took a quick look in the rearview mirror and noticed the hatch did more than knock my glasses off my head, it took a chunk out of my forehead and I had blood streaming down! Because I’m neurotic, I have like three first aid kits in my car. I was able to apply pressure, slow the bleeding and bandage my head. Of course, heads bleed a lot so I had to change bandages mid-trip and still arrived home with a blood soaked bandage. I’m sure Loran wasn’t sure what to make of my injury. It was pretty tender for a few days and wearing a bandage on my forehead to prevent unexpected gushers was a little awkward. Truth be told, I’m kind of hoping it leaves a scar. I think being able to tell people my forehead scar is from scrapbooking is pretty badass.

IMG_2547IMG_2548IMG_2550IMG_2553IMG_2554

A week later, I joined my Moms on the Run friends for Wine and Canvas night in Stillwater. What a blast! I took a lot of art classes in high school but never any painting classes. This was my first foray into paining on canvas with acrylic paints. The instructor went though the process of creating our firefly painting step-by-step. We enjoyed food, drinks, friendship and art all at the same time. Such fun, and now I have a Christy original, that is similar but not exactly like the others. We not only run, we also create masterpieces – what a group of renaissance women!

No comments: