Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 1: White Bear Lake –> Overland Park, KS

December 28th. We had 461 miles to cover on day one. Loran thought we’d be on the road around 9. After packing, doing some last minute cleaning at our house and then a food stop at McDs, we were finally on the road around 11:30…Right on schedule!

IMG_9643IMG_9644

Just insert kids and cats.

IMG_9642

The longhorns Loran installed on the grill of the Caddy. We were serious about being Texans. The snow adds a nice touch.

IMG_9647

I drove the first stretch, it made it psychologically easier to leave. I had to do that when we moved to Connecticut too. They you’re focused on the road and not bawling over saying goodbye to each memory, important place and car dealership you pass. Our first stop was actually to FedEx. We had to ship ourselves a box because we’d run out of room in the Caddy. Loran had to spend that first leg of the trip with a giant box on his lap. The girls both passed out immediately, Ella may have been helped along in the nap department by the Benadryl she was given to *hopefully* alleviate her motion sickness, as suggested by her doctor.

IMG_9649IMG_9651IMG_9652IMG_2889

We made a stop for lunch at the Albert Lea Pizza Ranch (best restaurant name every) where we enjoyed the buffet. The girls LOVED Pizza Ranch. What’s not to love, really? We hit some rain that eventually turned into snow around Des Moines. Unfortunately, that was also around rush hour, but it was Des Moines…so…that is a relative term. The snow did slow us up a bit.

Since we were slowed down, the girls were able to enjoy a “car picnic” of McDs in Bethany, MO (I swear there’s not a theme emerging here, but when you’re out and about, you know what you’re going to get). Cheeseburgers and fries were consumed, the backseat was generally happy with a few meows of protest here and there. Once in Liberty, MO, nearing our destination, we stopped at Target for supplies. As Loran put it, I was out of the car, running into my beloved Target before the car was in park. (good thing I wasn’t driving!) I loaded up on the necessities: dinner for Loran and I, cat litter and milk for Lil. We then rolled into our hotel, the La Quinta Inn (pets stay free). The girls were happy to get in. By the time we got there, all of the hotel’s cribs had been claimed, since we had two queen beds, we decided to divide and conquer. Loran bunked up with Ella, I got Lily. There was some restlessness by the younger travellers as we tried to settle in. Loran and I huddled together at the desk and consumed microwave burrito bowls. 

IMG_2892

Relief as we pulled into the hotel.

Our Day in Email Updates

11:50 am – On the Road!

We've made it to Mpls to FedEx a box to ourselves. A little slow to get on the road. Driving conditions are good, just wet! Ella's asleep, Lily is singing.

2:45 pm – Lunch!

Just finished lunch at Pizza Ranch in Albert Lea. It is safe to say that Lily is a fan of Pizza Ranch, I haven't seen her eat so much, ever. We are nearing the border of Iowa. Roads are now dry and it's cloudy. Much easier to see (now that Loran's driving). The girls just started their first movie (with headphones - hooray)!
Tally-ho!

4:20 pm – Rest Stop!

Near Story City, IA. Light snow falling.

7:42 pm – (no subject)

Slow going from Des Moines, IA to the Missouri line means that we are now 15 miles south of the Missouri state line. We'll stop at Target in Liberty, MO in about 1 hr 15 min, then drive the remaining 30 min to our hotel at Overland Park, KS. 

All well. Girls are doing great. 

8:55 pm – Liberty, MO

We have arrived at Super Target in Liberty, MO. Christy was out of the car and into Target in under 10 seconds!  We are all in good spirits and making good time across Missouri - only a few miles of this state left before we get to Kansas for the night.

10:02 pm – Made It!

Overland Park, KS. Goodnight!

From Loran’s Facebook Post

Today my family and I departed our home of 7-1/2 years in White Bear Lake and started our drive to Austin.


I feel very blessed by God, and so many of you, for the wonderful experiences we have had in Minnesota these last few years, at our wonderful church at Eagle Brook, at St. John's Hospital where our two beautiful and wonderful girls were born, jobs at ShopNBC and 3M that challenged me and helped me grow, and a network of family, friends, teachers and others who helped Christy Gutt and I become who we are today and prepare us for who we can be and what we can do for God and country and our fellow man in Texas.

For all of you who had a hand in these wonderful years, my sincere thanks for the time and friendship. As we transition, I trust and believe that we are off to even more wonderful things (and warmer weather) - but we will never forget these great years in our lives. Thanks, y'all.

No comments: