Five! Ella turned five on December 20th, and while I waxed poetically in the blog, back on that exact day (in between Lillian’s vomiting), I have the pictures to commemorate celebrating Ella’s five trips around the sun. Ella was easy to wake up and picked out a jaunty new outfit for the day. When she came downstairs, she was greeted by Jingle Bells bearing “Happy Birthday” flags. We didn’t have any frozen waffles for me to cut into a 5, pancakes were too time consuming, so cereal with a five made out of yogurt covered raisins it was!
Ella’s celebration at Garden of Hope was really fun. Ella was SO excited to celebrate. Grandma and Grandpa joined us which was very helpful since Loran was out of town. It was also the girls’ last day at school before winter break, which also meant it was their last day at school before the move. I was really happy we could focus on celebrating Ella rather than it being their last day. It took the edge off of what could have been a very sad day otherwise.
After the celebration, Ms. Patty explained that it would be Ella and Lily’s last day. The children were welcomed to give the girls hugs. It was so precious. Ella and Lily were hugged by nearly everyone and while I know Lily welcomes all kinds of attention and hugs, Ella is typically more reserved. I wasn’t sure how she’d fare with all of the physical attention. Ella loved it. Beaming as everyone hugged her. What started as individual hugs turned into a massive group hug. I think if the children could have, they would have hoisted Ella and Lily up on their shoulders and paraded them around the classroom. It’s not just a school, it’s a family filled with love.
Between schools, Grandma, Grandpa and I treated Ella to a fancy lunch of her choosing, McDonald’s. Then we were off to Normandy Park where I shuffled both girls in along with a box of teacher gifts, snack and juice for Ella’s birthday. Another bittersweet moment where we passed out Christmas gifts to the teachers and therapists at Normandy Park who have played such a big part in helping Ella catch up with her peers.
It’s hard to say goodbye to your village. Even Ella’s van driver, Susie, had a parting gift for Ella of a coloring book, stickers, and candy (even some for Lily).
Once Ella was home, we had a little celebration with the three of us. Ella opened a gift, some cards that came in the mail and enjoyed some leftover birthday cake. I was sure to put the candle on the cake so we could sing to Ella on her real birthday. Problem? Lily has also been in birthday mode and was shocked and APPALED we were not going to sing to her and give her a candle. Why I could have just headed off the drama by giving in, lighting a candle for Lily and singing to her, I put my foot down. This was Ella’s actual birthday and we would celebrate Ella. Lily would get her day in February, it was important that Ella feel special. That putting my foot down thing? That led to this…
Lily stormed into the office in an uproar. Screaming, flailing, rolling around the ground. And of course, I followed her. Not to pander to her temper tantrum, but to capture the moment in photos. Eventually, she sulked out and joined us, quietly eating her cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment