Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lily Visits the Doctor and Gambles

Alternate title: Do I Have to Get a Shot??

Ella and Lillian play doctor a lot. I think they have three doctor’s kits which they have combined into one big bucket of doctor’s implements. They’ve also added some tools from their bug catching kits for added fun. Both have also obsessively watched an episode of Daniel Tiger in which Daniel visits the doctor and has to get a shot, which he’s initially afraid of, then gets through it using the line, “close your eyes, think of something special.”

If you come to our house, prepare to have to roll up your sleeve and be told, “close your eyes and think of something special!” as you get jammed in the arm with a blunt plastic syringe. You will then be asked about what specifically you thought of. And you’re not off the hook, both girls give more shots than is medically necessary in any situation. They’re the reason we have superbugs.

When Ella went to her well child check in January, Lily was besides herself that it wasn’t her turn to go to the doctor. She so badly wanted to go. She even sat in on Ella’s appointment answering the questions given to Ella. She could not wait for her turn. Eventually, her turn came. A few days prior to her much anticipated appointment, she made the connection that she might actually have to get a shot. Suddenly, the excitement turned into panic. She would be happily skipping along, stop dead in her tracks and with a quiver in her voice ask, “Mom? When I go to the doctor, will I have to get a shot?” I wasn’t sure of the answer, but I did know that Ella had a shot appointment the day following Lily’s appointment, so I could at least comfort her with the idea that Ella would also be getting shots. It probably didn’t help Ella’s morale, but it sure helped Lily.

We arrived at Lily’s appointment with our entourage that included Chelsey. Ella was still at school. Which also meant that Ella wasn’t present to hear the amazing news that Lily would not be getting any shots at her three year appointment! But, she’d better prepare for year four now, psychologically, when she’ll become a pink pincushion again.

Lily is a healthy little girl who is rather precocious, passing most of the CDC’s benchmarks for a four year old. Finally, after years (by years, I mean three years) of being long and lean, topping the charts for height and barely registering for weight. Always so close to getting that “failure to thrive” label, but always eeking by thanks to whole milk and butter, Lily is evening out. Just as Ella did at this age. Whew.

Height: 38 1/2 inches – 80%

Weight: 29 pounds – 30% (highest percentage ever!)

The following day, Ella got her shots with a few tears and made demands that the nurse NOT put any bandages on her wounds. Ella doesn’t like bandages, and I was impressed that she advocated for herself. Ella is now cleared for Kindergarten. Lily is doctor free until age 4 – knock on wood.

Lillian’s gambling habit is another story. Our local grocery store, HEB has a game for the kiddos. I’ve come to really appreciate the allure of the game, as Lily will be a star grocery shopper because she knows at the end, she’ll receive HEBuddy Bucks from the cashier. Lily will then take those two “bucks” and feed them into the machine one at a time. The wheel will spin and when she pushes the big blinking button, the wheel will stop at a point number –1, 2, 5, 10, 50 or instant winner and a sticker prints out with said prize on it. We collect the number stickers in a booklet that we can redeem for “amazing” prizes once we’ve collected enough points. Once Lily got the instant winner sticker which she exchanged for a sheet of stickers from the service desk. Lily is so lucky though that when I bring her, we often find actual money on the floor. Given her addiction to the HEBuddy game, I’m glad casinos are prohibited in Texas (surprising, right?!) otherwise, I’d have a slot machine addict on my head. For now, I’m happy with a girl who bounds out the door at the mention of HEB.

IMG_3228IMG_3231

Funny side story, a couple of weeks after moving to Texas, Loran was showing me some facts and figures related to his job. The figures involved large grocery chains, most of which I’d heard of: Safeway, Kroger, SuperValu, etc. One of those listed was Howard E. Butts. Being the child I am, I immediately pointed it out, giggled and exclaimed how happy I was I didn’t have to buy groceries from “the Butt Store” – and without missing a beat, Loran tells me, “You do, it’s HEB!” I nearly pulled a muscle in my neck whipping my head to look at him in disbelief as I ate my words. I have to admit, I do love my Butt grocery store. Dude, I got a pound of strawberries the size of my fist today for $1.48!

No comments: