Monday, June 10, 2013

Biker Babes

Mark Calaway goes to our church. You’re thinking, big deal. Doug Johnson (I made that name up) goes to my church. I’ll rephrase. The Undertaker goes to our church. As in the pro wrestler. (There’s some comfort in knowing that if folding chairs start getting thrown at church, someone who knows what they’re doing can step in.) The Undertaker has a motorcycle that was specially built by West Coast Chopper. And now I bring this little story full-circle… Mark Calaway, aka: The Undertaker, donated his custom bike to Lake Hills Church so it could be raffled off. Half of the proceeds will go towards the church’s SPUR Compassion Ministries. The other half goes towards America’s Mighty Warriors.

IMG_0795

The Undertaker’s Chopper (I don’t think I could reach the handlebars if I were on the seat). I think it would make a great conversation piece, better than a coffee table book!

In conjunction with the opening of the SPUR building on our church campus and the kick-off of the bike raffle, our church held a bike rally. The bike rally included a motorcycle ride, bicycle ride and kids bike parade.

IMG_0793IMG_0806

IMG_0792IMG_0801IMG_0798

IMG_0803IMG_0804

The girls were pumped to be part of the bike rally. Despite the thunderous roar of dozens of motorcycles taking off, they enjoyed watching the procession and waved the bikers off. When their turn to ride came, they were ready! Both took a respectable starting position in the very rear and listened intently as Ms. Julie, the pastor’s wife, give instructions on how to proceed. Then they were off. The larger children on bikes crossed the finish line in about 30 seconds. We created a shortcut and finished about five minutes later, bringing up the very rear of the pack. In fact, when Lily finally crossed the line, all eyes were on her, and cheers erupted. She was the last one across the line.

IMG_0808IMG_0807

Last week, the girls and I were in the SPUR building prepping food for Mobile Loaves and Fishes. We made hundreds of pb&j and ham & cheese sandwiches that were passed out to homeless people and low income children that evening. Ella rocked a pair of plastic food-prep gloves and helped squirt jelly and slap ham on bread. She really enjoyed the experience and both girls keep talking about making sandwiches for people who are hungry.

If you’re still looking for a last minute Father’s Day gift, or just a fun chance to win something unique, the motorcycle raffle will be drawn on the 16th. For only ten dollars, you could be the proud owner of The Undertaker’s one-of-a-kind West Coast Chopper. But even better, you can help others: homeless, orphans and wounded veterans. I’d say that’s a pretty good return on investment. Ella would also appreciate having the ability to make more sandwiches, she loved it!

Go get your raffle ticket! http://www.spurrally.com/  (psst: you don’t have to be in Austin)

No comments: