Today, Lily brought me one of Ella’s beautiful rings, in pieces, asking if I could ask glue it back together. I told her I wouldn’t be able to, and she needed to find Ella, tell her that the ring was left on the floor and she accidentally stepped on it and she was really sorry.
Lily took a deep breath and marched into the other room to confront Ella. Her timid little voice repeated what I’d coached her to say as she held out the pieces of the ring in her little hand.
Ella raised her head, raised an eyebrow, looked at Lily and said, “That’s your ring.”
Lily did a double take at the ring, her eyes huge, looked at me with a mix of relief and disbelief. She asked me again if I could glue it back together, as if the fact that is was hers suddenly made it repairable.
Lesson learned. Stop keeping your jewels on the floor.
No comments:
Post a Comment