Lily loves her crib. Despite her agility and adventurous spirit, Lily has never once climbed out of her crib. At least, not the real one. She’s made the great escape from her Pack and Play several times. But apparently Lily feels really secure and happy surrounded by bars. Uh oh. However, one night, during my usual stop into the girls’ room before I retired to bed, I really looked at my tall little Lil sprawled out in her crib, and some of her out, it struck me that my baby is actually growing out of her crib. We took the side off when we moved into the apartment, but it was time. Ella moved to her bed after I noticed if she fell forward while standing, she’d go right over the side since it only came up to her waist.
Typical of most of my projects, I decided to take on the Big Girl Bed project as soon as Loran left for Japan. He was sitting in LAX when I texted him my plan, basically asking for the ‘go-ahead’ to push the button and purchase the two mattresses and two bed frames sitting in my Amazon cart. Ella was also getting a new bed out of the deal, downsizing from a full to twin.
Loran gave me the nod and I “patiently” waited my two days for everything to arrive – yay Prime. There was, of course, a hitch. When I received my shipping confirmation, the mattresses were to arrive Tuesday (not the Friday I’d been promised upon purchasing them) and the frames weren’t going to arrive until Thursday! Not okay. I contacted Amazon, and I’m not sure what, if anything, they did, but three of the four pieces were there on Friday night/Saturday morning. The last piece arrives today. I also got a credit on my order. Yay!
Friday evening, I dragged a heavy duffel bag into the house from the front porch. That duffle contained…drumroll…an entire compressed mattress!
I carefully cut the plastic and started to unroll it when – bam! It sprung open into the mattress we’d been anticipated. The girls ruled it “so comfy!” as did Zucchini. It also passed the jumping on the bed test with flying colors.
The girls and I set out to build the headboards – thanks Target clearance. ![]()
![]()
![]()
The girls were big helpers, placing dowels, adding glue, using the hammer. They only fled when I used the vacuum to catch those stray dust bunnies. Once Lily’s bed was made, we admired our work and relaxed a little, but Ella was quite the task master and didn’t let us lay around too long before getting me up to build her bed.
Unfortunately for Ella, we were down a mattress, but we had an airbed and twin sized foam to improvise with. Pumping up Ella’s bed turned out to be quite the highlight (along with the hammering and gluing).
There was much excitement the inaugural night in the beds. Lily refused to let me put the side rail on her bed, and since Ella had downsized, I grabbed our two old body pillows and tucked them under the fitted sheet to form a speed bump. Ella will probably graduate from using hers this week because she’s a pretty mellow sleeper. Lily on the other hand, not so much.
Lily is a mover and shaker when she sleeps. Always has been. By 10:30pm, Lily had already fallen out of bed once while sleeping. Before I went to bed, I rearranged her in her bed, and come Sunday morning, I found Lily backwards and facedown in her bed. Classic Lil. Night two, she stayed in her bed, but before falling asleep, remade the bed and slept on top of the covers and bedspread, backwards again.
We used to always do bedtime stories in Ella’s bed, as we couldn’t all fit in Lily’s converted crib. Now that we have two beds to fight over…share. I knew I would have to nip this in the bud immediately. Starting with night one. Each girl takes a turn being the “hostess” they are in charge of making sure their bed is comfortable for their guests (removing all of the toys, straightening the covers), they then invite and welcome their guests to the bed. The guest’s book choice is the first to be read, followed by the hostess. Once the stories are completed, the hostess thanks the guests for coming and the guests thank their hostess for having them. It’s been cute, and they’ve been so excited to be the hostess. I hope it sticks.
Once the girls’ beds were assembled, I had Ella’s full size bed ready to be placed. I’d been cleaning and reorganizing my craft room to make room for the bed. Now we have Chelsey’s bed and Ella’s old bed awaiting guests…and of course, two twin beds and air mattresses. Bring on the holidays at the Gutt casa!
No comments:
Post a Comment