Lots of reading happening in our house. Shortly after posting my blog this morning, written after Ella got on the bus, I received an email from Ella’s teacher. Her reader was not in her homework bag. Seriously. I put it in the bag myself last night. Proud of myself for being so on top of things, and the first day that Ella ever has homework due, it’s missing. Great start for the next twelve years, I hope it’s not an omen. Sure enough, I glance around the room and there it is, Spring Weather is laying on the couch. Clearly the victim of a little girl wanting to read more. Who can blame her? Luckily, I was able to return it to school this afternoon because I was…dun dun dun…the Mystery Reader!
On Fridays, a parent comes to the classroom to read. Due to some scheduling conflicts, my day was moved around a few times, but here we are, my day had arrived!
When I quietly entered the classroom, their little backpacks were all ready to go at their spots and the class was watching a little ABC song on the SmartBoard. They were singing and dancing and the lights were low, so I went unnoticed by most children. Ella’s teacher and I chatted a bit as the alphabet wound it’s way to Z. When the mystery reader was introduced, the person who knew the reader was supposed to stand up. Ella did a double take, jumped up with a smile, ran toward me and BURST INTO TEARS! This was not the reaction I was expecting. She was so overcome with what I assume as happiness that she started crying. I’m sure if we ever surprise the girls with a trip to Disney and record it, it might go viral if this is the reaction I get for being mystery reader.
Ella was all smiles sitting next to me as I read her favorite, Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly. Ella basically read it aloud with me, giggling away. I then read a class favorite, also a home favorite, The Monster at the End of This Book. It was so fun to read to the class. They were so cute and well behaved, all ears and eyes for the stories. As I wrapped up, Ella freaked out that I was going to leave her, when my intention was to bring her home with me since it was the end of the day. She burst into tears again, but regained her composure when the classroom aide and I walked her to the office to get her all checked out. Such drama. On our drive home, Ella was again all smiles as we passed the busses filing down the road toward school, lots of excitement when we saw her bus.
Hopefully, my next stint as mystery reader will be less traumatic. We can only hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment