Mid-October, I quite literally jetted out, on my yearly girl’s scrapbooking weekend. I’ve been doing it about seven years now. It’s always been a 1-2 hour drive from my front door. Things have changed this year, but last year, when I announced to the group we were moving to Texas, I vowed to be back this year, and put down my deposit.
I was out the door at 5am for my 7am flight out of AUS bound for MSP. It was one of my first solo flights in a while, and thanks to the airline status Loran gifted me, I was able to act like a travel snob with my silver status. I did encounter a diamond status flier who was completely without tact and class and just plain rude. I vow to never be like him. I will genuinely smile at the TSA and gate agents and use my manners, no matter what my status or non-status. I was able to drop my checked bag off without a fee (hooray!), then I was happily escorted to the expedited security line for all of us “frequent” fliers like myself…and upon arrival to my gate I was called up to the desk and upgraded to first class. WHAT?! This really blew my mind because I’ve never been upgraded without riding on Loran’s hundreds of thousands of miles. I’ve learned to wear actual clothing when flying, if you outright buy your first class ticket, wear those sweatpants, you’ll still look like a complete slob…but if you want the airline to consider upgrading you, be presentable. I was wearing my new jeans with the bling on the back pockets…they lit up the security scanner earning me an extra wanding…As long as the words “Juicy” didn’t grace my bum, it was worth it.
What have a learned from my stint in first class at 7am? These business fliers really enjoy Bloody Mary’s. I do too, but drinking that early just seems like a bad idea. So as the back of the plane boarded and we were served a preflight drink, the flight attendant handed out 17 Bloody Mary’s, a couple of coffees, and bling butt (me) had a water. Lame-o. I had wanted to sleep through the flight, but suddenly my flight had perks, so I wanted to stay awake to get my complementary hot towel and breakfast (Cheerios, fruit, croissant, yogurt – so fancy). Another perk of first class: a dedicated bathroom that only a few people have to fight for. However, having been on a lot of flights, including smaller regional jets, that was the smallest bathroom I have ever negotiated. I’m not even sure how I got in and got the door closed. I couldn’t stand up fully and I had to lean over the toilet to wash my hands. It made a porta-potty look roomy…
Upon arrival at MSP, I grabbed my already waiting for me bag and made my way to my car rental. Loran had signed me up for a program through National that allows me to choose my own car…the rental agent met me at the door and offered a free upgrade to their executive level because the “Emerald Aisle” didn’t have many sedans left. Stupidly, I didn’t take this upgrade because I didn’t want a sedan (Momma likes an SUV), but I totally should have taken the upgrade and picked an SUV that had more than just basic features. Seriously, I’m getting so spoiled.
On my way to the retreat house, I stopped at the house of one of my best friends. I also realized that every.single.road. is under construction/ripped up/detoured/closed in MN. I don’t miss that. Marie and I took a nice long walk, chatted and hung out. Then I grabbed a quick lunch and brought it to a familiar location to eat. I enjoyed seeing fall colors, it had to be near peak. My visit was a quiet one. After two family and friend centered visits this summer, this one was just for me. I landed, and I took off northeast for Wisconsin.
Once at the retreat, I quickly unloaded my stuff, changed into comfy pants and eased into my weekend by spending an hour just shooting the breeze with Ellen and Molly. Ahhh…uninterrupted friend time, just what I needed!
Throughout the weekend, I’d take a few breaks to talk to Loran and the girls. This year, we were able to video chat on our phones…it was interesting.
In previous years, we’d arrive on Thursday and buckle down and scrapbook through Sunday morning. There would be food breaks (of course), a few walks/runs thrown in to keep the legs from developing deep vein thrombosis, and some sleep. Back in the day, we’d stay up until 3am…now, work lights are starting to be flipped off around 10pm. We were lights out by midnight each night. We talked for quite awhile in the dark, but the thought of skipping precious uninterrupted sleep was just ridiculous!
Saturday morning was cool and rainy, but we decided to go into town and check out a new winery. Marie drove up for the day and we put real pants on and set out into the real world. It was so fun! The winery was really impressive, and good! We also found a little bakery and stopped for fresh bread and many samples. I think we have some new traditions!
Me, Ellen, Marie and Beth – wine!
I did some of this too.
Saturday afternoon, we had a massage therapist come over – we’ve really learned how to do this right. Sadly, as the night set in, that also meant my time was winding down. I had a 9am flight and a 1.5 hour drive to the airport, which led to a 5:45am departure time. I had a great surprise and found out I was upgraded again for my flight home, but found out about this one a day ahead of time! That meant I could throw caution in the wind and jam pack my carry-on. One my way to MSP, I eeked by the 50 pound limit with 49 pounds of scrapbooking supplies. Now I had 70 pounds and planned to use it! When I awoke in the quiet house, I slipped out into the night and was greeted by frost on my windshield. I put my gloves on and scraped the windows. Hopefully for the first and last time this season. I drove on the deserted roads toward the airport. The problem with driving at 6am on a Sunday? The only thing on the radio are “public service” radio programs that the stations are required to have one hour a week. Basically, every channel was playing “Perspectives” and I could hear about innovative, tax-payer funded programs bringing progressive programs like pickle-ball to inner-city youth. It’s a wonder I didn’t drive off the road.
I bid a cold, wet Minnesota goodbye as I breezed through security, got to my gate, opted for coffee rather than a stiff drink, enjoyed my Cheerios, napped and read my way to Austin. Upon exiting the plane, I was welcomed home by the smell of some good wood-fired BBQ and tucked my jacked back into my bag. Ahh…
I was so excited to see my little family, and so refreshed after a long weekend away. Every momma needs at least a few hours away doing something she loves (solo trips to Target, while a luxury, don’t count!) to recharge her batteries. No guilt. Your children will be fine, if not better off, when you leave them for a few days. Your husband will be fine, if not better off, when you leave for a few days. Your children may eat cereal for every meal, they might not match, and their hair might not be brushed. Who cares? Dad’s way may not be your way, but that doesn’t make it wrong. It’s just different. He may even have a deeper appreciation for everything you do behind the scenes.
So really Mom, leave. (come back eventually) The world will not come to a screeching halt because you aren’t toasting the organic waffles for them. Your children will not need years of psychotherapy because you didn’t spend a weekend with them. The house will still be standing, and you might be surprised, it may even be clean, or a project may have been tackled. But you’ll never know, if you don’t go. And the welcome you get when you walk in the door is usually worth it. But, beware that the relaxed feeling you sunk into will fade away within the hour of being home, but the glimpse of relaxation is also totally worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment