Monday, June 16, 2014

A Nod to 2000–Kindergarten Style

We gathered the afternoon of Track and Field Day to celebrate the end of Kindergarten. Front row seat on the floor? Check. Camera? Check. Tissues? Check.

It really feels like yesterday that I was sending Ella off on that big yellow bus for the first day of school. Now here we were, an entire school year, minus a couple of weather cancellations, celebrating the end. Another goodbye. And again, not just to a teacher who we’d see in the halls again, but to the teacher, entire staff, building and familiarity. Next year, Ella will get to start first grade in a brand new, state-of-the-art building. That in itself is highly exciting, but I’m terrible at goodbyes. Especially when amazing teachers are involved. Ella’s resilient. As far as she knows, every year you change schools. Ella’s school tally: Mahtomedi ECFE, White Bear Lake ECFE, Garden of Hope Montessori, Normandy Park, Cedars Montessori, Lake Travis Elementary PreK, and Serene Hills Elementary. Here we go again! Maybe I need the routine and familiar faces more than Ella does.

The five Kindergarten classes filed in and took their positions, each in their class shirts. They had previously looked so small, but over the year they had gained height, lost teeth, grew smarter, and lost their baby faces. No longer the babies in the school, ready and excited for their next step. (Although Ella did proclaim that she wasn’t going to first grade, wanted to stay in Ms. Ciccolella’s class, and would be staying medium (she isn’t small, and isn’t big, so calls herself medium) forever.)

IMG_20140604_114901876

Ciccolella’s Chicks 2013-2014

IMG_20140604_114947529

A pre-performance pep-talk.

Sinatra, First Grade, High Kicks! It’s all here!

And when you thought it couldn’t get any more awesome, I mean, they just high kicked…They pull out the rock-star glasses and boom…a little Vitamin C – “Graduation (Friends Forever)” ala 2000.

IMG_20140604_120900859

Vitamin C + Kindergarten!

IMG_20140604_121032951

I’m a giant mixed bag of emotions. I’m laughing at the high kicks and rapping kindergarteners, with tears streaming down my face. Such a perfect end to the year.

After the program (and a few more songs I didn’t capture) we all headed back to the classroom for a small award presentation and a treat. We also presented Ms. Ciccolella with a gift that the homeroom mom and myself had put together. There were tears and laughter, hugs and photos.

IMG_3751

IMG_20140604_125255232IMG_20140604_124324494

Ms. Ciccolella and Ms. Muller

IMG_20140605_160457923

What an amazing year for Ella. Here she is with her Mariner Math Award, Reading Award, Science Fair ribbon, and Certificate of Excellence for completing Mariner Math, Track and Field, winning the Admiral Award and Pledge participation.

The class of 2026 is off to a strong start. Look out world!

No comments: