As school was wrapping up, I was hatching a plan. A plan that made use of my college degree. A plan that I thought that we were not at an age level where both participants (and myself) could participate without losing their minds, culminating in a giant temper tantrum (also including myself in that). Mommy School.
Not born out of the idea that I would hold vigorous academics throughout the summer, thereby zapping my children of the will to learn anything and ruining the thrill of summer and carefree adventure. I am not trying to clinch their college admission, or even put them at the head of the class. No, I’m just trying to get Ella to be a little more on par with her classmates. The girl’s a star reader and loves learning. Our daily little lessons always start with 10 minutes of independent reading and always have a writing component and we rotate through math, science, cooking, and art activities, with an occasional field trip thrown in the mix.
I’ve had fun coming up with some summery lessons. Lily and I took a trip to Lakeshore before school was out so we could make our preparations.
In addition to the lessons, I’ve also instituted a chore chart. This one we haven’t been as diligent about. But most days I can get the girls to make their beds and help out more around the house: wiping down bathrooms, making sandwiches, washing dishes, sweeping floors, wiping windows/mirrors, gathering garbage. I have to admit, it’s nice not feeling like I have to take care of everything, which gives me a little more time and energy to focus on Mommy School.
Mommy School does have it’s annoying (but good) components though. My students are overly eager. Both girls can’t wait for their lessons, they also don’t want the lessons to be done. But, my focus is to keep the lessons short and sweet so they don’t burn out and are wanting more. My students also insist on calling me “teacher.” Which is cute, but gets slightly grating. Even as a teacher, I didn’t let my students call me “teacher.” I feel like Mrs. Gutt would be a little overkill.
Mommy School has been a good lesson for me in the girls’ abilities. Ella is a lot more focused. More than I thought she would be. She can buckle down and finish the task. Lily gets frustrated a lot quicker and melts down. Typical four year old behavior, but also nice to see that developmentally, they aren’t on the same plane. Lily also doesn’t like me to modify her work, which was my original plan. She wants to do the same as Ella, but of course, can’t do it as quickly or doesn’t quite understand it, and gets frustrated. She won’t, however, give up. Even if I give her an out. She will lay over her work sobbing, but refusing to stop. Tenacity.
One of our first projects. A chain to count down to our trip to MN. Practice with cutting, counting, writing numbers and patterning.
Writing and Math
Self-sufficiency. They may be better prepared after this summer than most millenials.
Art – pony beads in cake/muffin pans, melted in the oven = sun catchers.
Field Trip – Austin Nature and Science Center. Broadening my mental map and comfort zone. The girls had a nature scavenger hunt to complete along with their packs that held adventuring supplies: water, snacks, magnifying glasses and binoculars (someone (Ella) snuck a doll in theirs). After hiking, seeing animals, and digging for dinosaur bones, both girls were completely exhausted.
When we aren’t doing Mommy School or running errands, I barely see the girls. They are so busy playing together or on their own. I feel like I should arrange to have some friends over, but they seem to be so happy playing together, and for the most part, get along great*. Why mess with it? Perhaps they’re making up for lost time, when during the school year, they are separated for so many hours each day. Friends come and go, but sisters are forever.
*Don’t get me wrong, we still have high pitched squealing, tears, and girls sitting on one another.
The first half of summer is already behind us. It’s flying by and I’ve yet to hear the words, “I’m bored!” We’ve used the television even less than I was expecting. Handwriting is improving! Morale is high. We’ve finally hit that sweet spot of childhood where they’re fun, and able to entertain themselves. I’m not constantly managing their time/safety, and it’s amazing! This is where I’d like to slow down time. This span between diapers/constant supervision and teenage angst. This happy, carefree childhood time….s.l.o.w..d.o.w.n.
No comments:
Post a Comment