Monday, January 14, 2008

The key to sleep and ECFE


Since Ella's been on the bottle, getting her to sleep has been a lot harder. She drinks the bottle so quickly that she's quite awake when she's finished and wants to socialize. Loran and I aren't much for conversation with a three-week old at 3am. So, we try to put her to bed and she cries and cries. Then the whole process of getting her back to sleep takes and hour and we're both burned out by it.


I studied her during the day to figure out why she doesn't cry in the daytime after feedings. Duh, we cuddle her afterwards...so last night we tried a new maneuver. We'd feed her, wrap her up and then she'd lay next to Loran while I pumped, by the time I was done, she was out cold and could be put to bed and we didn't lose more sleep. Can we say heavenly?


This morning, I forwent going back to bed after her early feeding and got up and showered when Loran got up so Ella and I could go to our first ECFE class in Mahtomedi. The White Bear one costs money, the Mahtomedi one is free, closer to our house and Mahtomedi is an awesome school district...go figure. We braved the 1 degree temps, got there and there was only one other mother there with her baby, Oliver, who was 7 weeks old. None of the other "regulars" showed up so the other mother, the instructor and myself just sat for an hour and a half and chatted. It was nice to have adult contact, but I also wanted to play with the babies. Maybe next time. I'll keep going.


I think we're going to Tesseract today to see everyone!


No comments: