Sunday, February 10, 2008

From Crib to College

I'm having some issues. My baby is growing. I know this is a good thing overall, but it's just happening so fast. Today I officially packed away newborn clothes. They're still in a pile to be put into storage, but as I carried them upstairs, I nearly cried. Those itty-bitty clothes that she once swam in are now too small for her.

Next up, her four ounce bottles, those take the old heave-ho tomorrow. We're switching to larger bottles.

We've talked about moving her to her crib at night rather than her cradle in our room. I use the argument that if we do that, we'll have to keep the whole house warmer at night than we currently do. That would equal $$. Right now, we keep the house cool at night with our room heated to 65. The reality is, I'm just not ready yet. It's hard enough putting away the newborn clothes and small bottles. While Ella may be the loudest sleeper ever with all of her grunts, groans, farts, squeals, etc, I'm still not ready to move her. I feel like once she moves into her crib, we might as well start packing her up to move her to college.

I didn't think I'd be like this. I'd have never anticipated these feelings. I'm doomed when she goes to Kindergarten! Sheesh!

Then on the other hand, this weekend was the first time I've left the house by myself! No Ella, no Loran...just me! It was the strangest feeling and so liberating!! I felt like I was walking taller (probably because I wasn't lugging a carseat) and it was a great feeling to quickly run into stores and do my own thing without worry. It's so nice to feel completely at ease when Loran's in charge of her. He's such a great dad. In fact, today he took her grocery shopping while I was getting a pedicure! And I came home to roses! I'm so spoiled! :)

We also started Ella's bedtime routine tonight. We've decided not to do the whole bath thing right now because she's not dirty every day and I like to be able to smell the baby wash smell all day. Instead we're doing: pjs/lotion, bottle, books, bed. Nice and easy. It worked tonight! I put her down when her eyes were getting heavy and after some cooing, she was out. Loran just moved her from the crib up to the cradle and she it still sleeping! Yay!

No comments: