Monday, September 15, 2008

Sparky's Littlest Fan

After being cooped up in the house because of the rain, I was ready to get outside. I decided to take Ella to the zoo today. We packed up and headed over to Como since it has the advantage of being free.




The zoo outing had two purposes. The first was to get out of the house and into the sun, but the second was a learning opportunity. Ella is trying really hard to crawl. She doesn't go anywhere, but she is really trying. In fact, she was so frustrated by her failure to move last night that she burst into hysteric tears last night. Loran and I tried not to laugh at her. She's so ready to move, but her body isn't ready to let her. Since she pushes up on her arms like a seal, I figured I could take her to Como where she could watch the Sparky* show and maybe get some insight as to how to drag those legs around and start moving.


We were disappointed to learn that the Sparky shows do not run between Labor Day and Memorial Day. Seal Island had been drained for the season and all of the sea lions had been moved indoors. We visited them and then headed over to Sparky's pool to visit. Apparently, Sparky took an interest in Ella. I put her stroller right up to the glass so she could watch Sparky and another sea lion swim around. Sparky popped up right in front of Ella and just stared at her, then, Sparky would press her nose to the glass in front of her face and would press her cheek to the glass. Not just once though, several times. Sparky would swim around, interact with the other sea lion, but then pop up to socialize with Ella. Ella was easily distracted by other kids, so I'm glad I got it on video.




We really enjoyed our time at the zoo. Since we'd last been there (a month?) ago, there was a baby orangutan introduced to the crowd. He was just a cutie, but kept his mom busy...I definitely know how she feels! It was fun to watch and Ella tried to "talk" to them.



Mom and Dad trying to relax






Baby getting a little too high for Mom's comfort.





Mom comes over to get Baby out of the ropes.

As we were leaving, I brought Ella by the carousel so she could hear the music and see the historic wooden horses. Well, we noted that today was Free Ride Day!! YAY! How could we pass that up? So, Ella got to ride on her first ride - the historic carousel at Como! She loved it - lots of laughs when it started going around! I even managed to get some pictures while holding on to Ella!


Hurry, take the picture so I can turn around and watch the horses!




She was very excited!


The brass bar was left wetter than we found it...sorry, next rider!



*For the out of town folk: Sparky is a local legend. He (current Sparky is actually a she) is a sea lion who has been performing shows for zoo-goers since the 60s. Everyone loves Sparky and Sparky seems to love everyone!

This is Ella trying to move. Note the seal/sea lion like moves.




Hi Marie!!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my gosh is she ready to crawl!! I loved the video of Sparky too.

We would've stopped by or called, but we went walking at 8am. Didn't think you would be up that early to want to go walking.

Larsica said...

Oh man, how frustrating that must be!! I couldn't help but laugh too, that is so cute! One more trip to see Sparky and she will have it down!

Ella Bella Pie said...

Sparky is great inspiration! You can do it Ella!