Monday, April 6, 2009

International Swimming Lessons

*Guest Post by Daddy*

I have mentally promoted Ella to a real person now, because her passport arrived today. I am very excited.

Today Christy and her family went to the Twins Home Opener (the 28th and last one in the Metrodome before Target Field* opens in 2010) while Ella and I went to swimming lessons**. While we arrived on time for 6pm lessons, I vastly underestimated the amount of time it would take to get us changed and get in the pool, so we enjoyed 20 of our 30 minutes of swimming time. We then spent about 20 minutes getting changed back to normal clothes.

It has been very exciting to see our little girl grow up. Tonight she pushed her little push-car all around the family room, and even seems to have developed something of a reverse gear to get around obstacles. This generally fails, but it's inspiring to see some problem solving.

*Wikipedia, beacon of all true knowledge, makes a good point about crowding if 5,000 people try to board our light rail line from a platform 23' wide after games. Having attempted to board the 4/5 after a game at Yankee Stadium, I can sympathize. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twins_Ballpark)

**More Wikipedia: Apparently, children do not swim on their own until age 4 to 5.5. Ella can kick in something resembling swimming, but does not actually swim and rather will sink feet first. This makes me feel better. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_swimming - reference 5)

No comments: