Monday, July 27, 2009

Bearclaw's First Photos

Today was our first prenatal appointment. It was a piece of cake. Even easier the second time around, partially because you aren't questioned as much and because you know what to expect. All of the blood tests were normal. Everything is the right size and looking good!

The ultrasound machine was already in the room when I got there - always a good sign! Without even asking if I could, Dr. G had the machine going and was peeking in on Bearclaw. Because it's their "old" machine, it's not as detailed as our next one will be in a few days, but it's always fun to see what's going on in there! I added some captions so the outside world may know what they're looking at. Much like Ella's MRI, it's a face only a parent could love!


I told Dr. G my biggest fear was the Gestational Diabetes test - as when I did it for Ella, I was a mess. I passed the test with flying colors, but apparently, I was REALLY sensitive to such high glucose levels. They give you the "glucola" at the beginning of your mid-pregnancy class. Then you sit through class and an hour later have your blood drawn. The class acts as a good diversion while you wait the hour. Unless you're me and get super woozy. I ended up laying in the back of the room while a nurse wiped me down with cool washcloths. I thought I was dying. Loran was really nervous, watching me and taking notes in class, and I watched every other woman in that class not even develop a drop of sweat on their brow. Meanwhile, my world was spinning...so, needless to say, that has been my biggest fear in getting pregnant.

But, Dr. G is my hero - and she suggested that perhaps I could come in after fasting, have a finger prick, go out to eat and get some pancakes with syrup and have a blood draw a couple of hours later. :) IHOP for medical purposes - AMAZING! We'll see if that actually plays out, but it makes me hopeful!

We go back in a couple of weeks - at 13.5 weeks (the same day as Ella's neurologist appointment) to get our NT Scan. This was my favorite ultrasound of Ella - you can see so much, and they look like a baby. Of course, at 20 weeks, you can find out the sex, so there's always a plus there.

It's funny how before you have children, going for your yearly exam seems so demeaning - the paper robe and drape, the stirrups...horrible. Once you've had a baby, it's like...whatever. Loran, however, has a thinner wallet, since he spent that stirrup time diverting his eyes and cleaning out his wallet! So perhaps I'm the only one who feels so relaxed with this process now.

No comments: