Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Zantac Chronicles

A couple of nights ago, I was awoken - almost violently with acid in my throat. It was torture, it felt horrible and I was so sad to realize reflux had started. I'd had a scratchy throat a few days leading up to it which was even worse after that reflux attack - but I started to wonder if it was actually caused by my nighttime reflux. With Ella, I had reflux every night and would wake up and take a Tums in the middle of the night and I only had heartburn once. A couple of friends recommended I try Zantac, which my doctor had also suggested the first time around. This time, I bought some. I'm only at the halfway point, I don't want to suffer like that every night. It was to the point that I was dreading bedtime.

Monday night, I hopped into bed and took my Zantac (Target generic), DHA vitamin and prenatal vitamin...and I had the most amazing night's sleep I've had in awhile. I woke up without a scratch in my throat. Same with last night, my sleep was solid (minus once potty break). So, I'm starting to think that reflux has been bothering me more than I'd realized up to this point. I wish I'd just caved and tried it with Ella. I guess that's part of the wisdom you get with age and experience.

Also, I've noticed on the latest bag of bird food I bought for my cockatiel, that it now contains Folic Acid and DHA. Seriously?! Like I'm that concerned about my bird's brain development. It's a bird. It flies into windows. It needs more than just DHA to repair that damage!

No comments: