I broke out my copy of one of my favorite parenting books, Good Night, Sleep Tight by Kim West. It's like the go-to manual for sleep in children ages newborn on up. I used a well-loved library copy during Ella's early months and finally bucked up and bought my own prior to Lily's arrival. I sat down and read the newborn and 5 - 8 week chapters yesterday and implemented some strategies last night. Including keeping Lily awake two hours prior to our bedtime - it's difficult to keep a newborn awake. Tummy time was implemented. I also examined feeding for comfort vs nourishment.
After keeping Lily awake starting at 9pm and then giving her a nice, big feeding, reintroducing the swaddle and giving her the pacifier, she drifted off to sleep with little problem. She fussed a little around midnight and I thought we were done for. Loran gave her the pacifier and she was out, almost immediately. Loran's alarm went off before Lily did this morning! I was awake before the alarm at 5:30am, mostly out of discomfort and listening for my baby to breathe. At 6am, she woke, ate and went back to sleep.
I've stayed up because I'm feeling pretty well-rested! I'm even going to walk on the treadmill for a little bit before getting myself up and dressed. I think today's going to be a good day!
1 comment:
I'm totally trying this tonight! Keeping a newborn awake is next to impossible but it's worth a shot, Kenna's been waking every 2 hours all night which is NOT cool!
Post a Comment