Today I was proud.
Kids make you proud for a variety of reasons. Once your a parent, the littlest achievements can make your heart swell with pride. First smiles, new words, even an impressively filled diaper can make you feel some success as a parent.
In the doctor's office, Ella was a champ. Last time we were there, she was near vomiting after having her weight and height checked. Having to sit on that doctor's office table paper had her in hysterics. This time, she was weighed and measured without incident and collected her Dora sticker happily. She apparently didn't remember that nearly throwing up earns you two stickers, versus following directions and only earning one.
The neurologist, who already has a great demeanor with children, didn't frighten Ella at all. She played shy for about two minutes, but couldn't contain herself when she noticed her favorite book, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Ella will no longer be receiving the services of Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare! The doctor can't see any reason why she'd need to continue to be seen unless she stopped developing. We could get a follow-up MRI, but even that isn't necessary. And, I'm not putting Ella, or myself through that again just for kicks to see how her brain is myelinating.
To celebrate Ella's release from the neurologist and her stellar behavior, we went to Target to pick out a toy. What an ordeal. And not because she wants everything, but because I couldn't interest her in anything in particular. We looked at dolls, and a few seemed to interest her, but then she'd chuck them out of the cart. We looked at Barbies, but my daughter only wants the shiny, sparkly ones that are not $5. And I want Ella to have a brunette, like herself because I want Ella to feel beautiful as a brunette. We finally settled on a train set. Ella's pretty into trains and most forms of transportation. Plus, it forces her to use her imagination and small motor skills (once a teacher, always a teacher) But, we battled on which train set to purchase. I wanted to get the nice, Circo brand wooden set with 120 pieces
So after dinner tonight, we're going to crack open the inferior-to-Ella train set and have a splendid time playing with our daughter, who no longer has or needs a neurologist. And she'll walk and run around the room, squat to play with trains and crawl around pushing them on the track. Things we dreamed of less than nine months ago. All while she chatters on and on about the things that little kids find enchanting; Elmo, trains, colors, pockets...
If anything, our trips to Gillette have always made me appreciate what Loran and I have. We are blessed to have two healthy little girls who have bright futures filled with possibilities. We may have tough days, but we don't have half the struggles many of the parents whom we share the waiting room with face daily. Our children don't need equipment to function. The gear we need can be easily purchased at the store, not specially ordered. There are no tubes, tanks, braces or special chairs keeping our babies functioning. We could choose to take the stairs and we're blessed to have to use the parking spots that aren't by the door, even on a rainy day.
Even as I stood in Ella's room last night, watching her wrapped in a towel after bath, peeing on the carpet, I was still proud. She's a pretty good kid, even though she needs a piddle pad...
2 comments:
LOVE this post. Congratulations, Ella!
I'm feeling mighty proud of you, girlfriend!
Post a Comment