Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mothers, Burgers, Baseball and Nacho Cheese

My family knows the makings of a good Mother's Day. We started the festivities with a trip to The Nook, an amazing little burger joint across from Cretin Durham Hall. And yes, it has been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I enjoyed a great blue cheese mushroom burger and fries in the little dark joint while being showered with gifts. I received quite a few things but the highlights include pearl earrings and squeezable nacho cheese!

After our delicious lunch, we headed to the other city, Minneapolis to catch the Twins game. We parked near the Metrodome and it was eerie to be seeing a Twins game and see the Metrodome area like a ghost town. We hopped on the light rail towards the stadium. Ella was ecstatic to take the train.  It's a toddler dream come true, she was squealing in delight as the train pulled into the station. Huge smiles as we boarded. We got to the stadium after the game had started and there were people sitting in our seats. After that confusion was put to rest, we really enjoyed the perfect weather and game.
We had first row seats in the outfield which was great for Ella to be able to see the game. Sometimes she stood, sometimes she sat on a lap and sometimes she tried not to get folded up in her seat. I'm pretty sure the Twins won. Watching a game with small, demanding people loses some of the magic. I can highlight the game as such: Lily ate in the 2nd inning. In the 4th and 5th innings there were diaper changes. In the 7th inning, Loran attempted to get coffee but Ella started crying at the prospect of him leaving. Both girls slept through the 9th inning. Then, there was celebration and nap time was over. The line for the light rail was at least 20 minutes so we opted to catch a bus. This was another highlight in Ella's day - a bus ride! It was really a dream day for Ella. Fries, baseball, Joe Mauer, she discovered the cup holder on her seat along with various forms of transportation. Plus, she could see planes flying over the field!















Lily enjoyed the game too and was quite well behaved. I also had them in matching sweaters, which added to my mommy-geeked-out happiness. After our bus ride we were back in the car and headed up to Nana and Papa's house for dinner.
































After dinner, we headed over to Grandma and Grandpa's house for dessert. It was a full day, but amazing. I feel so blessed to be able to celebrate Mother's Day with my precious little girls, and our mothers. My job is hardly glamorous. There's not a lot of recognition. There is a lot of bodily fluid/function to be managed. In the end, it's quite rewarding to watch the little joys and accomplishments each girl experiences. I'm glad I get to put on bandages and wipe tears, even when it's hard, these are my girls and I sure love them!





No comments: