It's been very exciting for Ella around here. I let her color a card for her friend, Sophia's party, in which she was able to use not only markers....but regular, non-washable markers!! I wasn't too concerned though. Even Sharpie comes out, eventually. Ella learned the phrase "marker hands" to refer to her now multicolored digits. She also did a great job of coloring the table top. The best part was watching her figure out how to get the caps on and off. I'd revel in the developmental bliss of this, except it was absolutely hilarious when she referred to the caps as "craps"! Out of the mouths of babes...
Ella was able to attend her first princess party. Although, she woke up with more of a step-sisterly attitude. Certainly, no amount of prince kisses would wake up her normally happy attitude. She had fun in her own, reserved, observant way. If there was one thing she wasn't shy about, it was cake eating. Sophia's cake was pretty darn good in Ella's book and she devoured it. There was no time to bother with using utensils. It was go big or go home as far as the cake was concerned. Once we did get home, the mood didn't really improve much with only having a short nap in the car. Luckily, seeing Daddy seems to make everything better. Unfortunately, I didn't get many pictures. I left the good camera at home on the theory that I'd have two girls to manage in addition to a big camera. I just brought our old point and shoot. I pulled it out of my bag to discover that while I was pleasantly surprised it was charged, the photo taking button was missing. Yep. I could push down in the hole where the button should have been and could get it to focus, but not shoot a photo. I found a pen in my bag and was able to hold the camera and push in the hole with my pen to take photos. I then decided that it wasn't worth it to try attempt to get good photos with my now ghetto camera. I snapped a few with my Blackberry and called it good.
Ella has also discovered the joy of the hose. This is a great thing. It means our plants have a chance of surviving this year. Most years, I neglect to water them and they shrivel and die in the sun. But, with Ella's love of running through the sprinkler and sprayer, it's actually good incentive to water the poor plants. I accidentally hit her in the back of the head with the sprayer set to "jet" and while she was shocked, she instantly broke into giggles shouting "cold, bonk head!" It was hilarious. This weekend, Loran was trying to clean the grill, but of course, had a little helper who needed to "wash hands" in his scrub bucket. The bucket was getting grosser as the cleaning went on, so I interceded by giving Ella her own soapy bucket and the sprinkler to play in. Good times were had by all.
We went to Cup and Cone for the first time this season. The line was worth the wait. It was Lily's first trip so we had to get a photo. Ella refused to eat ice cream, as usual. That's fine. More for us and lighter on the wallet! Someday, she'll realize the errors of her ways. Until then...
We decided that Ella needed a new summer 'do. Something a little shorter to keep her cooler and something that wouldn't attract *everything* she ate. It's just too hard to sit through brushing out tangles when you're two. It's actually torturous. Ella is pretty certain the Geneva Convention covers such inhumane treatment. So, off to Kids Hair we went. Ella sat through Elmo's World and because of it, was completely indifferent to what happened to her. Now, four inches later, she has a cute new hair cut. If we hadn't had her hair cut twice now, she'd probably have hair down to her butt. Not bad for a nearly 2 1/2 year old!
Lily has discovered the joy of toys! She loves rattles and blankets. She concentrates really hard to get it, then straight to the mouth it goes. Ella loves to find baby toys and pile them on Lily. Lily is now in love with the Playtex bottle and takes one each night...even from me. She's such a funny kid.She'll be my rebel with pink hair.
This entry has taken four hours to complete. In that time, we've had several diaper changes, dinner, a couple Lily feedings, went on a walk with a friend...sheesh. The house looks like a disaster, but that's okay.
Potty training starts next week. That should provide much hilarity to write about/embarrass my children with in the future. Here's hoping for more success than our first attempt in November. Break out the sundresses, water shoes and start the washing machine!



1 comment:
Your girls are so darn cute! I love the new haircut. I always tell Lars I think the kids conspire against me to not let me sleep. Whenever Kenna sleeps through the night Preston wakes up super early or vice versa. I feel ya!
Post a Comment