Saturday, June 5, 2010

Roadtrippin'

The Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, we hit the road. More appropriately, the girls hit the road and headed north to Thief River Falls. That's nearly to Canada...

My cousin was having her grad party and it seemed like a good reason for myself, the girls, my sister and mom to make the trek we've been talking about doing. Loran rented us a Kia Sorrento and off we went! Sadly, we were stuck in phantom traffic early in our journey. There was no accident, breakdown, lane closure. Just slow, 20 mph traffic for about an hour. Then, as mysteriously as it cropped up, it went away and we were off again. I'm not going to lie, the drive was long. I was the only authorized driver, but my roadtrippin' buddies made it fun. Although, we could tell we were starting to go slowly crazy when during the last hour of the drive we were debating which words were disgusting and which just sound weird the more you say them. (Gross = moist and mucus, Weird = egg)

The girls were great in the car. It also helped that they had Chelsey in the back seat to keep them company. Someone had to be able to pass out snacks, sippy cups and rescue Chewy.  Ella was beyond thrilled to stop at McDonald's for lunch. I think she's now calling it Old McDonald's.

Our hotel was quite nice. I was a little worried upon making reservations. There wasn't a lot to choose from in Thief River Falls. One place I was reading reviews for had someone complaining that there was "vomit on the mattress" - so we didn't stay there. We ended up at the C'mon Inn, which has a dorky name, but was quite luxe. We had a suite, cuz we're high class like that. Or, it was big enough to accommodate three adults, a kid and baby. We had a whirlpool in the suite which Ella turned into her own personal swimming pool. Mom opted to sleep on the couch, which seemed like she was really making a sacrifice for her daughters...but really, she ended up being the smart one.


Ella slept between Chelsey and I on the king sized bed. Chelsey and I each got approximately 1.5 feet of bed. Ella got the rest. How is this possible when sharing a bed with a small person you ask? Simple. The small person felt the need to sleep perpendicular to Chelsey and I. Think of the letter H and that's how we were sleeping. Lucky for me, I got the head side. Chelsey had feet in her face or neck almost the entire night. I kept trying to move Ella back to parallel, but within minutes, she was back in H formation. Lily slept well, but she was in her own Pack-n-Play from home.

We missed the actual grad party on Saturday, but we arrived at the perfect time - food cleanup. Oh yes, we were the clean up committee! No need to dirty Tupperware with us around, we'll take care of it! Ella made it her mission to leave no chip or piece of fruit unturned.



Ella got to play with my cousin's son, Trevyn, who just turned two. They were adorable together. We even got them to willingly hug one another, but then they both fell over while hugging which resulted in two overly tired children crying. But, it was cute while it lasted. 
 



 
We had a fun weekend. I was a little worse for the wear since it wasn't very relaxing for me. Having two needy small children definitely takes a toll, even when you have great help.
 

 My mom and sister brought Ella swimming before our drive home. The water was cold, but the fun was flowing (that just sounds like a bad radio commercial. Sorry, so sorry for the cheese factor) Ella loved swimming with them and didn't mind the cold.



 Be wary of a lifeguard who's strapped into their seat...
 
 Ella figured out how to splash, mostly...herself.

No comments: