Tuesday, November 23, 2010

We Are Thankful

Today, we joined Ella’s class in enjoying a Thanksgiving feast, prepared by the children. Homemade soup, fruit salad and cornbread were on the menu. It was so delightful to spend time in their classroom, surrounded by such happy little children and content parents and guests. It’s amazing to watch the entire class sit down to a meal together. Each sharing what they are thankful for, listening quietly while each child takes a turn, eating together, chatting and without chaos. Even with parents and friends surrounding them, they carried on without needing our help, allowing us to be their guests and peek into their school life.

007

Ella’s teachers are amazing, Ella just adores them, her friends and school. As we think about what we’re thankful, Ella’s school is high on the list. I was nervous to let my baby go, worried that she would have problems due to her motor delays but quite the opposite. She’s blossoming, growing into a capable, smart, young girl. Her vocabulary is bursting with new words and phrases. She helps clean up at home. We get hugs out of the blue. Diapers and training pants are slowly becoming a thing of the past. But the best gift of all is the look on Ella’s face at the mention of school.

001005

009012

We make a lot of choices as parents, daily. Some are small, seemingly insignificant. But some can alter your child’s life for the better or worse. This decision was one of those decisions that has altered the course of Ella’s (and our) lives – for the better. Hands down, our life is already better because of this wonderful little school. I’m so looking forward to the next three feasts at school and to continue with Lily (who enjoyed her cornbread thoroughly).

020032022

Of course, I have to admit that I’m extra sentimental on days like this. It was events like this that made me want to be a teacher. I really didn’t think I’d make it through the feast without shedding  a tear. I have always been a mush-ball for all things school related. I can get that lump in my throat so easily: first day of school, last day of school, singing programs, handwriting papers, field trips, school lunches, new crayons…I love the rituals of school. I love being on this side of a classroom event – without the stress that the teachers face. However, I can appreciate all they do to pull off having all of these family members invade their sacred space.

So much to be thankful for and this is the season to share – Ella’s school is on the top of the list!

 021

While everyone patiently waits to eat and listens to what everyone is thankful for, Ella just can’t make it…she has to sneak some fruit – every time she stays for lunch, she tries to wait, but the siren call of her lunch is just too much! Once, even though they’d moved her plate out of reach, she started eating off of her teacher’s plate!

 029017

No comments: