To begin – each house has a nickname. Old house = Dynamite House. New house = Shady.
So, we moved. A whole .8 mile south. We’re actually closer to the lake and can see it from the house now. That’s a fun change. The house will be turning 100 in 2011. The house is actually my aunt and uncle’s house. They purchased it when I was quite young and poured a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it – literally. They took a run-down house and infused it with love and made it modern while keeping its character. Nearly ten years ago, they had the opportunity to purchase the house across the street – which is lake property. They rented the Shady house and this summer, their renter suddenly left. The house needed some help. It was pretty rough after years of being a rental. There was just something about knowing that the house was empty that wouldn’t let my mind rest. I really wanted to see it again. I remember when I was young and it had the scariest basement I’d ever seen. I remember staying overnight there, eventually in that same basement, that was no longer scary. I brought friends over for sleepovers, babysat my cousins, and eventually when I started working for my aunt, it was my office. It was the house that made me fall in love with old houses, and see the potential in other old homes. It influenced my decorating style. It was my favorite house.
While we were in Montana, I poured all of this out to Loran. And the timing was great because we had nothing but time together to talk and discuss the possibility of moving. We decided to see the house upon our return to see what Loran thought of it. Even though it still needed some TLC, he saw the home it could be. Through September and October, the house was rehabbed and we did some preparations for our move.
Because it was such a short move, distance-wise, we decided not to push ourselves. My goal was to not have to close and tape a box. Once November 1 rolled around, I’d started the slow move. Bringing car loads over while Ella was at school. Enlisting family to help me on the weekends. Loran was at a work training through this time, but in his few hours at home over the two weeks, he’d haul a few loads. By the end of the first week, living at Dynamite House was getting more uncomfortable and I decided that after that weekend, we needed to make the switch to living at Shady. Ella had a hard time for a few days after the switch. Eventually, I had to make the decision to not take her back to Dynamite House. Any moves would have to be done without her present. She is perfectly happy at Shady, but thoroughly confused when we go to Dynamite House.
I had two great weekends of moving with warm November weather and lots of helping hands. Last weekend, we hired a professional moving company to move our larger furniture and I was sure happy it was them moving and not us as heavy, wet snow fell by the feet. Now that our couches and larger items are in, our pictures and tchotchkes (awesome word) are out, it’s feeling more like home and not a sleepover at my aunt’s house. I still smile at the thought of changing diapers in what used to be my office, which is now Lily’s room! One evening last week, while eating dinner, Ella paused, looked up at me and said, “The new house is great!” That was a wonderful feeling.
As for Dynamite house, it still has stuff in it, but we’re slowly emptying it out. Now when I go there, I feel sad. To see it empty and void of life. I always think I’m going to hear the bird chirp when I walk in the door, or see the cat walk through the room. I still love that house. It’s adorable beyond belief. It was my home after leaving Connecticut. It was my babies’ first home. Surrounded by wonderful neighbors and shadowed by a giant maple tree. How can I not be sentimental? It nearly exploded the block – I’ll always love that house.
I’ve taken a lot of photos, and while it’s not quite as clean as I’d like it, the masses have been demanding photos so I will provide. Pardon our mess as we are still moving, but this is our new home.
The front porch with a view of the lake!
Entryway
Living room – with my favorite, the fireplace!
The living room, dining room and family room are all connected in an ‘L’ shape – nice and open with a large window and seat!
Off the family room is a hallway with a bathroom and our office/scrapbooking room.
The kitchen has new appliances, refurbished cupboards, a great covered deck and sliding door and an under the sea mural along the wall to the basement. Ella likes to go downstairs to see the whale.
The stairs going up, and looking down into the entryway. At the top of the stairs is a little reading nook.
Lillian’s room, and off of her room is a storage room above the porch. It used to be my aunt’s office and I worked in the nursery.
Ella’s room had a pipe in the middle of the room, so I turned that into her Chica Chica Boom Boom tree! Eventually, Lillian will share this big room with her.
Our room. While not as large as Ella’s room, it has the best view!
The basement is multi-function. It’s our guest room, laundry room, closet, pantry, hang out lounge…there is a rough wooden pillar that was left unfinished. At one point, it was the nicest thing in the basement. It’s come a long way! The rough pillar is in the photo with the washer/dryer.
Our closet and the large bathroom Loran and I share.
The back yard – small, but fenced in! And really, small is a nice thing. We were having trouble keeping up with our larger yard. Lots of room for entertaining though! And of course, a giant tree near the house. We’re 3 for 3 on that feature in our housing. This one is oak though, that should be hardy – but come acorn dropping time, watch your head!
No comments:
Post a Comment