Friday, January 28, 2011

New Cat and Shuffles

Lillian keeps practicing her steps. She mostly shuffles and stumbles around. She’s a mini skirt and belly button ring away from looking like a college girl on spring break. She speaks about as coherently as one too… I keep trying to get her steps recorded. She’ll walk four feet and once the camera comes out, it’s all crawling. The second the battery runs out or the DVD fills up, she stands up and walks a few more feet. She’s totally playing with my head. And winning.

Lily has also started babbling this week. Previously, we were inundated with the typical baby sounds of, “babababa, mamama, gagaga, dadada”. But now, it sounds like she’s speaking another language that we don’t understand, but it’s very complex. It’s quite adorable, but she does sound like a Russian spy.

The new cat doesn’t have a name yet. Now Ella is set on naming the cat a cool, unique name, but also the name of Loran’s friend’s girlfriend (whom Ella adores). I have a list of German girl names that we may choose from. I like: Elsa, Romy, Callie and Lola.

Ella loves the new cat and it seems to love her back. Stollen isn’t much for cuddling. He’s social in that he’ll come out and visit us and he’ll stand for some petting, but he’s very cautious. Ella’s never really been able to pet him or talk to him. The new cat is loving Ella’s attention. She’ll get right down at her level and talk to her, tell her stories, pet her and try to play with her. She loves visiting the new cat. I’m glad Ella might be getting a pal out of this.

036040042

The first night, we put the cat in Loran and my bathroom with all of her supplies. Stollen seemed oblivious to her presence. Even when I put him right by the door. I’d read to leave her carrier out so Stollen could sniff it and smell her. Some cats will try to attack the carrier, some will hiss at it or become overly excited. Stollen smelled it curiously and then couldn’t have cared less. Yesterday, I moved her up to the office because it has a glass door. That way, they could see one another. I thought there would be some hissing and posturing. Nope, they both took one look at each other and hid. Both of them. Apparently, there is no alpha cat in this household. Except Lillian. This morning I let the new cat explore the house while Stollen was sleeping in “his spot” by the radiator in Lily’s room. Now she’s back in the office snoozing away. This afternoon, I’m going to open the office door and let them meet through the baby gate.

044043

My only regret…there’s not only a toilet in the photo but a plunger also! That’s just bad photography! My sincerest apologies.

Loran’s home from Seattle as of last night. The girls were very excited to see him this morning. He drove Ella to school, which is the first time he’s dropped her off. I think she was pretty excited. I’m glad he’s home. It’s easier to sleep when you know someone else is around to help put out the middle of the night fires – previously Lily was the rabble rouser, now Ella’s getting in on it. While he was gone, Lily slept perfectly, which is completely out of character. But, Wednesday night into Thursday, just as I was settling into bed. I heard little footsteps at 11. Ella was up. I was hoping this was just a water run and not a throw up run. When Loran’s gone, anything and everything seems to happen. Ella was just awake and wanting to play. I got her tucked in. Then repeated it again every 15 minutes until 1:30 am. For whatever reason, my empty threats of, “I will call your school and you won’t be able to go to school because you aren’t getting sleep” weren’t working… Usually, I can convince Ella that all of her friends and teachers are sleeping and she needs to sleep and get energy for school. She wasn’t buying it. She was W I D E awake. She wanted to play and read. It didn’t matter that it was dark, she was perfectly content playing by the light of the nightlight. Finally, I brought her into my bed thinking we could cuddle and she’d fall asleep right away. NOPE. She was quiet and cuddly, but still quite awake. I had the pleasure of listening to her suck on Chewy’s ears until 2:30 am when she finally fell asleep and I wasn’t far behind. Hearing the alarm go off at 6:20 was just rude. I snuck out of bed, started coffee and getting ready. I felt jet-lagged. That groggy, woozy feeling. I was dreading waking Ella-the-not-a-morning-person up. With only half the sleep she typically gets, I figured I was in for a battle. I walked into my room to wake up quite possibly the smiliest (not a word), giggliest girl I’ve ever had the pleasure of waking. We laughed and chatted all through getting her dressed. She was just a delight all morning on her way to school. I figured this meant she was surely going to be a homicidal maniac come this afternoon. Nope! Took a great nap and was just Miss Helpful, chatty, happy…at some point, the other shoe will drop. Luckily, everyone slept great last night, so hopefully this was just a fluke and not Ella becoming an extreme night owl.     

No comments: