Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Baby Frankenstein

She’s alive! She’s ALIVE!!

More accurately, she walks! She WALKS!

Sorry for the poor cell phone quality video, I keep it low-res so I can send it to people since we’re not filming major artistic endeavors with my Blackberry Tour.


Lillian still prefers crawling as her major mode of transportation because she’s quicker. But, walking is fun when she wants to be at a similar level as her sister. This new-found walking skill has made Lily more tired during the day, she’s been napping more and sleeping better at night. Walking isn’t all that bad! However, while I’ve completely weaned her from bottles. She has suddenly become very attached to her pacifier. I should have gotten rid of it long ago, but she didn’t rely on it very heavily. Now, she wants it more. Previously, she’s only had it in her crib. Now, since getting rid of the bottles, she wants it during the day. What to do, what to do? I feel like I can’t just take that away from her since she just lost the bottles. Funny girl only likes the newborn size ones too, so she has to work hard to suck on them! Maybe we’ll hold onto them for awhile and perhaps they’ll have to be sent to a new baby somewhere, or Santa, or they’ll all mysteriously get holes in the tips…

Her new favorite game is chase. She loves it when I tell her “I’m going to get you!” and then start stomping after her. She shrieks and takes off crawling full speed away from me. Ella has had fun with this new game too. Except, Ella will have Lily chase her, then turn around to chase Lily. But, Ella screams (happily) as she runs after Lily which frightens Lily. So Lily has a complex reaction, she’s SO excited to be chased so she starts laughing, but the screaming scares her, so her laughter turns into tears as she crawls full-tilt across the floor. She’s both laughing and crying, happy and scared. Then Ella will turn and let Lily chase her and the laughter returns, until the next chase. I can’t help but laugh at their shenanigans. 

Our new cat is now named Lola. She’s a great fit in our household. There haven’t been any cat fights that I know of. The two cats just hiss, growl and meow at one another, but even that is fading. They’re not buddies and ready to cuddle up to one another, but they’re also not fighting. Lola loves to follow us around and be part of the action. Ella is in shock that this new cat can jump onto things. Stollen is very klutzy and can hardly get up on the couch without a production. Ella walked into the kitchen and nearly had a panic attack when the cat was on on the counter. She was so worried until I explained that most cats can jump high, and Lola would just jump down. Then Ella was trying to coax her down, “Jump down Woa-Wa”.  Much excitement when the cat did jump down. Lola is very patient with Lily, who tries to pet her gently, but sometimes doesn’t understand that it’s hard to be gentle when you’re trying to pet the cat with a maraca in your hand…Lily likes to pretend to pick things from her fur and then bring them to me. There’s nothing there, I’ve checked. But that’s Lily’s thing, to bring me imaginary things she’s picked up.

013

Ella seems to have escaped the lice outbreak. I’m not sure it was much of an outbreak, luckily. We found this great spray and shampoo by Circle of Friends, called Lice Defense. They’re natural, but they smell great. There’s lavender oil in them so I find myself taking big whiffs of Ella’s head whenever she’s nearby. It’s blissful. We’re using the shampoo and detangler spray, and I’m also spraying the detangler in her hat and on her jacket before school. Can’t say for sure it’s the spray that’s working, but I know we don’t have lice, and that’s the number one threat.

Life in our household is pretty normal this week. Loran’s in town, everyone’s mostly healthy (a few nose drips here and there and a lingering cough that’s clearing up). Cold, snow, the norm.

Lillian turns one in a week and a half. Where did this year go???

No comments: