Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Nearly One

It’s been almost one full year since Lillian burst into this world. She hasn’t stopped moving since! As a newborn, she was always kicking her legs, even in her sleep. She had to rear both legs up and slam them into the mattress in order to fall asleep. Even when swaddled. Now as a nearly one year old, she is walking five to ten feet at a time,trying to figure out climbing, and seems to be getting some teeth. Hopefully by Sunday, her birthday party, her mood will have improved and the tooth in question will have made an appearance. She’s a drooly, chewy, snotty mess, currently. She only wants to be held. Then she realizes she wants to play and makes a dive for the floor, but then realizes she’s not being held and cries until she’s picked up. It’s hard to be nearly one.

004002

016011

Today we purchased the final decorations for her party. The soups are made and in the freezer. The smash cake is ordered. Even the weather looks like it will cooperate. I’m in a bit of shock that my baby will be a year old. Next stop, toddlerhood – only four days away!

We hosted a very small gathering for the Super Bowl. Our good friends, the McKinney’s came to watch. They’re also Packer’s fans so it was fun to watch with them. The first half of the game was spent corralling children, taking care of said children and then putting those same children to bed. I think we were all able to relax and enjoy the game and commercials without interruption by the fourth quarter. Oh, children… Our children were the worst behaved, hands down. Lillian is needy and clingy in her state of near-toddlerhood/teething. Ella, for whatever reason, has something against Alex. It takes her forever to warm up to him, but first she has to throw entirely embarrassing fits. Never mind that this is the same couple we went to Italy with. She’s traveled with them, stayed in the same apartment with them and they’ve known her since she was born, she has their pictures in her very own “Ella in Italy” photo album. Drama. Every. Single. Time. Usually with vomit (true on Sunday). And then, once she gets used to him, she’s happy as a clam. In fact, on Sunday, before we finally put her to bed. She would not stop talking. Constant chatter coming from her spot on the couch. No fear, not a care in the world. Just Ella and her stream of consciousness verbalized. I document this because someday, I want her to read this, then apologize to Alex for being temporarily psychotic in his presence for three years.

033

Baking cookies for our Super Bowl party

Besides gearing up for the big ONE, we’ve been pretty much housebound by this cold snap. Again. This winter is really getting me down. The snow, in its large quantities is gorgeous. I love it. I love how bright it makes everything. I love that this new house gets so much sun streaming in the windows. I love that when the sun touches my skin, I am finally starting to feel its warmth again. I am so DONE with the cold. The wind chills, the wind. If I can get out and about without having to bundle up to the extreme or worry about my babies getting frostbite, then I’m happy and content. But every the weather forecast involves the words: subzero, wind chill advisories and arctic – I’m close to cracking. Enough!! I need a break from this horribly long winter. When the first snow happens in the beginning of November and never leaves, it’s a bad sign!

028 Lillian supervises some serious roof raking by Daddy.

Every day, Ella asks if it’s gymnastics day. She now at least knows it’s on Saturdays. Today she saw a Pepsi truck and told me it was a “Ball Truck” (Pepsi logo). Whenever we pass K-Mart, she calls it the “K Store”. We’ve been working on using manners. She has a hard time saying please at the end of a phrase, it often goes something like this:

E: “I want some milk” C: “Can you ask nicely? Say, ‘I’d like some milk please’” E: “Thank you”

It turns into a “Who’s on First” kind of skit. But last night, she very politely asked, “More peas, please?” So of course, I gushed over her politeness and how wonderful it was that she used her manners. She just looks up at me and says, “I’m peaceful!” Yes, I’m sure Lillian would be the first to veto that statement.      

041

Lola enjoys laying on Lily’s birthday gift, in the sun.

No comments: