Loran just returned from another business trip last night. Thankfully, he was able to get on an earlier, direct flight because he was coming from New York. If you’ve watched the news at all today, you know they were slammed with a foot+ of snow. His original flight ended up cancelled, so we were very happy to get him home two hours early – and not have him stuck in New York. However, while I’m very used to his travels by now, even with both girls to manage, something always seems to go wrong. We had all of the signs of impending doom leading into this trip. On Friday night, he flew in from another trip and his car wasn’t running properly. Luckily, I was at book club at a girlfriend’s house and happened to be near the Mall of America, where he was able to drive and be stranded at. So, AAA towed his car to the dealership where they replaced the frozen line (a problem we’ve experience before, thanks to Audi engineering combined with our subzero temps). Because his car was out of commission, when it was time for him to leave for NYC bright and early on Sunday, it became a family trip. We were up at 5:30 am and off to the airport at 6:30 am.
Our days were going exceedingly well. I thought we were going to make it through this trip without mishap. Then, as I settled into bed on Monday evening, Lillian started crying. This isn’t unusual. She’s not the best sleeper and typically cries a few times per night. Most of the time, she’s actually crying in her sleep. Some kids talk, mine wails. But, some nights, she just can’t be consoled and for our own sanity and preservation of sleep, she ends up in bed with us. She then proceeds to sleep completely through the night and we get pushed to the outer edges of our bed. Even with Loran’s vacancy, I still didn’t get any bed to myself. Lily had to curl up right next to me. Now, given the title and what you’ve already read about my problematic sleeper, you would think that Lillian was about to puke in my bed, next to me. But here’s where the story takes a dramatic turn…
I woke up with my alarm after a very restless night and see Lillian, curled up next to me, little butt in the air and I just melt. How can you not love the sight of a pajama’d bottom in the air. So adorable. I moved her to her crib so I could get ready, then I move into Ella’s room to get her ready for school.
Upon entering, I’m greeted by the most foul smell. I’m horrified to turn the corner (yes, her room has a corner to turn) as to what I’m going to find. But, I’m greeted by a very happy, smiling Ella whose head pops up and I’m greeted with a giant, “Good Morning!” She throws back her covers and then I see it. She has thrown up. Everywhere. In her sleep. And then rolled in it. All. Night. Long. OMG! And the kicker, she’s oblivious. She jumps out of bed happy as can be. She’s not even a morning person, most mornings she seems sick, on a normal day because she makes such a production out of having to get out of bed. But today, she’s all rays of sunshine. Best I can guess, she had a coughing fit from the small cold that both she and Lillian had (and have now shared with me), then gagged and threw up. So I peel her shirt off and she proceeds to dance around and sing because, how amazing is it to be half naked?!
I debated keeping her home from school, but she was truly in the best mood I’ve seen. No fever or symptoms and ate breakfast. I was on pins and needles that I’d get “the call”, but I never did. When I picked her up, she was her happy, busy self. Not a problem since that sordid incident. However, I learned a great lesson from all of his. If you wear a 3M dust mask while cleaning up the carnage, you won’t smell a thing. And really, it’s the smell that’s the worst part of it. Granted, you look like a fool, but whatever gets the job done.
We had a slight scare this morning. Ella didn’t nap all day and because of that, she was exhausted by dinnertime. Ella was in bed and sleeping before 8 pm. Amazing. But, I awoke at 4 am. I didn’t know why. Listened for movement or crying…nothing. Lillian had been quiet all night. Then a few minutes later, I could have sworn I heard walking in Ella’s room. A few minutes after that, I heard whining. I flew out of bed. Steeling myself for more vomit comet fun, I was greeted by another happy Ella who was just W I D E awake. Curse the early bedtime! After a couple of false starts, Loran finally convinced her that all of her school friends were still asleep and she needed to do the same. I’m pretty sure she drifted off saying, “Maggie still sleeping…”
So, now I have the cold and both girls are their happy selves. Loran is in town, the Audi is fixed and all is right in the world….well, except my cold…
And now, so you don’t have to leave this blog contemplating night-barf, to quote Monty Python, “And now for something completely different…”
Crayola has these Color Wonder markers and coloring books. The markers are clear until they are used with this special paper, then the color appears. This seems like an amazing invention. Saving walls, outfits and couches everywhere. Lillian loved that she was able to “color” with her usual reckless abandon. But then I watched Ella coloring. She’s finally getting to the age where she tries to color specific objects on her coloring sheet. But, the color on these papers does not show up immediately. It takes approximately ten seconds to show up. That doesn’t seem long, but actually count out ten seconds. it is. Then, imagine you’re coloring and trying to stay in the lines. You need the immediate feedback from your coloring line in order to hone in your coloring skills. So, while I’m still pretty impressed by not having my surfaces covered in ink, the artist in me feels like these amazing markers are squelching little budding artists everywhere. Sometimes, you gotta make a mess in order to improve.
No comments:
Post a Comment