Lily had her first field trip this week to Hugo Animal Farm. I’ve always wanted to go, but have never made the time. When I found out ECFE was going, I was quick to sign up! Most of the time I kept Lily in her carrier so she wouldn’t end up in an animal pen or driving off in a tractor. The farm is a little animal farm designed for children. They give abbreviated information about farming and animals and get right down to letting the children hold and pet animals. Then, you move onto the next station for more. There’s no way a child couldn’t love it. Plus, there’s a tractor pulled hay ride. Just perfect. And, I’m not sure if we lucked out because it’s spring, or if the farm rotates animals in and out, but there were SO MANY BABIES! It was amazingly adorable.
Baby calves!! The children learned how the farm stores corn and then were able to take handfuls of corn to fill the trough for the cows. I grabbed a handful on behalf of Lily and wouldn’t you know, she swiped a few for herself…and ate them. There were some giggles from her classmates parents from this “Classic Lily” move.
Baby chicks, ducks and turkeys! Oh my! Lillian loved petting the chicks. I didn’t let her hold one because that seemed detrimental to the chick’s well-being.
Piglets and bunnies! Squeal!
While the bunnies were adorable, Lillian was quick to find cat with kittens. She knows what she likes. Luckily, our next station was the kitten and puppy station. Lillian was able to hold one of the kittens. I wasn’t able to get her photo as I was also running interference to keep the kitten from being smothered. But, the moment that kitten was put in Lily’s hands, she lit up. Huge smile. She hugged it and giggled. Loved that kitten!! Next came the puppy. I thought Lily would be equally smitten, but when her turn came to hold the puppy, she pushed it away. She’s a future cat lady in training.
The children were excited for the hayride to begin, but once that tractor started up and they were on the swaying wagon, there were some subdued children. We were also fortunate that it happened to be one of the nicest days of the year so far. The rumble of a tractor, the warm sun, sweet smelling hay and an adorable little girl in lap – what a perfect morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment