A few months ago, we purchased a membership to the Children’s Museum through a Groupon-type site. We decided that it was time to use that membership for the third time – aka – the visit that the membership pays for itself. We also hadn’t been to the museum since Lillian learned how to walk upright, so there was much anticipation to this visit. But the real fun was had when we walked in and they asked if we were MERSC members, which 3M is, which means we were entitled to participate in their MERSC member party that was going on that weekend and that weekend only. What luck! This meant: free lunch and crafts for the kiddies! Hooray! Plus, we found free street parking. We had really hit the mother lode with this trip!
There were stuffed animals to color and decorate. Ella chose a pig and Lily chose a fish! Lily was streaked with marker…
The room had an unused stage. But there’s something about a raised platform that children cannot resist. They must perform. Doesn’t matter if there is music, an audience. It’s genetically programmed in the under ten set.
The museum with two mobile children was a blast. I usually shy away from the Children’s Museum because in the past with my non-mobile toddler, it had been rather boring. But, I can easily say we’ll be getting use out of this membership’s remaining months. So much fun! Ella’s imaginative play has blossomed so she loved pretending to cook and farm. In fact, there was face painting and Ella actually asked to have her face painted. Typically, she would fly into sensory overload with someone painting her face, but she sat quite content as she gained a kitty face. Lillian, previously a crawler was amazed to be able to touch and try everything. We didn’t even make it through the entire museum. They were completely content with the three rooms we visited. We had to stop at the water tables because Ella had remembered those and specifically requested that we “play bubbles”.
Mona Ella and Mona Lily
Taking a leisurely ride on our chicken…Looks like I have a wagon full of ham.
What’s cookin’, Mc Crackin?
Ella the cat! The girls with Daddy and Ella now does stairs! Hooray for PT!
The fun continued at home. Having the girls as roommates has already strengthened their bond. I figured we’d get results eventually, I just didn’t expect them this quickly. Ella is loving playing with Lily. They were having so much fun in the ball pit that night that our house was just filled with laughter, and screams of excitement. Ella and Lily would *hold hands* and run through the house, big smiles and laughing. They they would both collapse in the ball pit and roll around. Lillian was beside herself with joy. It’s as if all of her 14 month old dreams were coming true. Ella was just plain happy. It emanated from both of them. I nearly teared up watching them play together. Like sisters, like friends.
In fact, this camaraderie has really spread throughout their day. I may have posted this before, but now Ella has started calling Lily, “Sweetheart”. When she gets out of the car in the morning for school, she will turn to Lily and say, “Good bye, little Sweetheart!” The parking lot is a virtual slipping hazard from my heart melting every single day. We also get some good lines coming over the hidden baby monitor in their room. It started with Ella consoling Lily with a, “It’s okay Lily, we’ll be okay” when Lily would cry. But it’s grown into something more along the lines of The Great Escape. One afternoon, upon waking from nap, Lillian was crying. I could hear Ella walk over to her crib and comfort her with the usual, “It’s okay Lily, don’t cry.” Lily stopped crying immediately and started babbling to her big sister. Ella then proclaims her plan. I then hear, “Lily, you get yogurt. I’ll get sandwiches and we’ll be okay.” Okay, I had to laugh. They sound as if they’re in some sort of labor camp making plans for their survival. They seriously had only been awake for five minutes. No one was in peril, and Ella, I might add, has free-range in the entire upstairs. Nice to see their survivalist tendencies have kicked in. Bear Grylls would be so proud.
The last membership that I’m sporting this year, is once again, Moms On the Run. Last year, I started as a beginner. And, I had a ten week old Lillian. This year, I signed up as an intermediate. That means mostly running/jogging. YIKES. However, I’m impressing myself. Two weeks in and I was able to run the entire last run, while pushing both girls in the Burley, in the wind. I did have to stop once to referee a snack dispute. I gave them an gallon sized bag of crackers and cereal thinking Ella would be in charge of that treasure trove and would possibly dole some out to Lily if the mood struck, or Lillian would play the role of bottom feeder and eat what Ella dropped. Typical roles. They also each had a water bottle. No, the dispute was waged by Ella. I was hearing a plaintiff, “Mom! I have no snack! Lily has Ella’s snack!” Sure enough, I pull over and Lily has the entire bag and both water bottles. She has them against the side of the stroller, opposite Ella and she’s leaning so Ella is seeing her back. How do they learn these things so young. And, the bag was nearly empty. I was expecting Lily to spew goldfish crackers and Chex cereal, Exorcist style. Loran was, after all, out of town, which usually means that someone has a bodily malfunction. But, everyone kept their Chex in place and we all survived the run, the business trip and the wind.
Required first day of running photo! It was cold, and sleety.
In developmental news, on a whim, I gave Lillian and small bowl of applesauce and a spoon. Expecting the worst and already mopping the floor in my mind, I braced myself for what might happen next. And what happened? She used her spoon correctly and finished her applesauce. Yeah. I was in complete shock myself. She’s only 14 months. This is way advanced. In fact, we consulted the “What to Expect Book for Toddlers” and we had to flip to 17 months before we found a milestone that Lily wasn’t already completely proficient at. This is such a different experience from the first time around. That’s what makes it exciting!
No comments:
Post a Comment