Saturday, September 3, 2011

Fair Friday!

Early in the week, the girls and I stopped at the local grocery store to purchase our discount State Fair tickets, bargain book and a sheet of ride/game tickets. The energy was palpable as we approached our fair day. In fact, when Ella found out we were going to ride a bus to the fair, a giant grin spread across her face and she was sold. I’m surprised she could sleep, she was giddy, but I think she knew better than to tempt us to take away this sweet adventure.

We were off to the Park and Ride to catch our bus the next morning and Ella was all eyes. I probably could have saved myself the money on the sheet of ride tickets because the free bus ride had her so geeked out. She was cheering every time the bus rounded a corner and was all smiles. Her excitement over the bus was contagious. Our fellow bus riders were enjoying her joy over the simplicity of a bus ride.

iphone 011iphone 010

Once we arrived, we were off – first stop, Miracle of Birth barn to get our baby animal fix. The girls loved seeing the babies, and adult animals. Ella even pet a day old calf. That was pretty exciting. There were piglets coming into the world while we were there. We chose to catch that miracle from a distance. I just go for the babies that are already clean.

iphone 012 

We did all of the usual State Fair with children activities: animal barns, all you can drink milk booth, food, Kidway…

I used my mad skills to win the girls prizes by popping a balloon with a dart. I’ve been training for this event my entire life and I’m not bad. First dart – bam! Balloon demolished and Ella was the proud owner of a new tiara and Lily had a stuffed clown fish. Both were excited, and somewhat alarmed by my amazing dart skills. Behavior at our house has improved 37% – clearly related.  

 iphone 016iphone 015  

Nothing like All You Can Drink Milk and a new Nemo, thanks to Mom’s ability to throw sharp objects.

iphone 023iphone 029

Ella’s big ride was the kid-sized slide. I thought she’d be a little nervous, but once we were on the way down, she was excited as can be! So much so, She had to pitch a fit at the bottom because she didn’t understand you couldn’t just head back up the ladder like at the playground. Loran took her the second time which was all smiles and laughter, until, once again, the reality of the bottom where you have to exit. So not fair, Fair.  iphone 031

My cousin, John was part of a group of architecture students from NDSU’s Design Build program that built a “passive house” in the Eco building. It just so happened that John was showing off their creation when we were there, so we got to get the “behind the scenes” tour, if there was a behind the scenes…we got some interesting stories that other fair-goers weren’t privy to.

iphone 032iphone 033

We did wear out both girls, so all in all, a successful day at the Great Minnesota Get Together – complete with free bus ride!

No comments: