A couple of months ago, Loran and I discussed changing our medical plan to one with a higher deductible and lower monthly payment. Our reasoning was that we didn’t have anything “big” coming up – you know, like birth. However, we decided ultimately that we were happy with our plan and what it provided for so we kept it as is. Good thing, with nothing “big” on the horizon, it’s only the first week of February and we’ve already blown through our deductible and are now paying mere pennies for the rest that’s rolling in. And the roll just started…received the hospital bill, and even having to pay the deductible, insurance covered the majority of it.
Here’s where we are by the numbers:
Number of..
Infected ears: 3
Pink eyes: 2
Ambulance rides: 1
Hospital stays: 1
Urgent care/Minute Clinic: 3
Pediatrician visits: 2
Bladder infections: 1
Pharmacy visits: 4
Speeding tickets: 1 (first ever!)
X-rays: 1
Nebulizer treatments: 5
It’s really a wonder we still have insurance, since this has all happened in the last three weeks. So the newest in Gutt family medical Bingo is a UTI for Ella. Check your boards if you’re playing at home. And of course, these things happen on a Friday night after the office has closed, extra bonus fun: Loran was leaving for Europe the following day. Ella had some pain and other symptoms that lead me to believe she was getting a UTI. I really feel for her, since those are SO PAINFUL! And of course, because it hurt, she didn’t want to use the bathroom, which makes things worse. Where adults can rationalize the price of the pain in order to prevent further complications, children will always opt for the pain-free option because forethought is not exactly their strong suit. Off we went to Urgent Care with dinner left in the oven, half baked and Loran guiding me via phone to the nearest, open clinic. Once we got there, Ella was charming as ever, as we caught it quite early so she wasn’t having many problems. Unfortunately, one of her redeeming qualities as a child is her stubborn streak. While beneficial in some cases, not so beneficial when you’re trying to convince a four year old to use the bathroom so the doctor can get a sample to confirm what she has, make a treatment plan and relieve the pressure inside so she doesn’t end up with a kidney infection. The nurses were supplying an endless apple juice bar and yet, Ella hung on. Having not gone for 12 hours or so, she wasn’t going to budge. We had two options: catheter or bring the supplies home to try.
Once home, we did get enough for a sample, which Loran sped toward the Urgent Care which closed at 10, it was 9:45. He hung out for the results and Ella and I worked on getting her to empty her bladder. A warm bath with permission to go in the tub was the winner. I tried chemistry/basic art with Ella and put blue food coloring in the water so we could see what color it would change. I found that idea brilliant, while Ella was intrigued, she wasn’t going to fall for my rouse. The poor girl was falling asleep on the toilet, so off to bed she went. The rapid test came up negative, but I think we got it so early. We’re waiting to find out about the three day test. Ella started antibiotics and she’s recovering quite nicely. The pain is subsiding and her personality is through the roof with happiness.
While we haven’t had the best run with health this month, I’m quite thankful that we have such great access to doctors, diagnostics and treatments. The fact that we can get medical treatment within a few miles of our house at any time of the day or night is so fortunate. It’s never pleasant to go through illness or watch the little ones we love get poked and prodded but at least we can also have the pleasure of seeing them perk up and heal from what can be or lead to serious conditions in other parts of the world. And I’m definitely thankful for health insurance. I can see how many families are one medical crisis away from financial ruin. You can’t plan for the exact storm that you will face, but you can prepare for a storm. In the end, it’s worth it, when you need it. (Of course, Loran also thinks I should lose my wedding set at some point to make insuring it worth it…I’m not quite sure he’s as sentimental as I am. There’s no way I want my insurance to be worth it! For a lot of things, really…just nice to know it’s there!)
No comments:
Post a Comment