We have a nice big window seat in our house. It’s a popular place to be. Poor Lillian, despite her advanced height, is still a little too short for it. However, she quickly figured out that if she took one of the pillows off the seat and placed it on the floor, it provided just the right boost in height to get her onto the seat. Of course, once she’s up, she’s stuck. So often we hear the calls come in, usually after Ella has jumped down and abandoned her… “Help! I’m stuck! Help!! Help!!!” Yesterday, Lillian and I were sitting up there, and she was goofing off as usual – the world is her stage – and standing up, facing the window, she mis-stepped and started to fall backwards. As if in slow motion, my arm shot out and caught her, even though she had reached the angle of which regaining her balance wasn’t going to happen, I was able to brace her and get her back on the seat before she crashed down right on her back. Once righted, I immediately scooped her up and hugged her tight. She didn’t cry but was shaken up, in her little wobbly voice, I hear, “I-I-I scared! I poopy. I need to take a nap.” I think that pretty much sums up most traumatic events in one’s life.
Last weekend, Loran and I went away down to Rochester, MN to attend the Weekend to Remember Marriage Getaway. This is our second year, and while much of the material is the same, it is presented by different speakers who add their own stories and wisdom, but I feel like we got a brand new set of knowledge, and a general tune-up to our marriage. It’s a great weekend, even the husbands seem to enjoy themselves. We stayed at the hotel where the conference was held – a Doubletree – yay cookies! And, because of Loran’s travel and points and status, we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite. Because that’s how we roll… We truly had a blast. For our date night, we checked out a restaurant called Twigs, where you’re given this searing hot rock to cook your meat on. We chose a lobster tail – to share. Of course, we were already full because we were enjoying our suite life to the fullest, we had previously visited the executive lounge, where we basically had already had dinner, because their “snacks” are a little more elaborate than Goldfish Crackers or the fruit snacks we typically nosh on mid afternoon. After our dinner date, we strolled along the river a bit, but not too long because I was in heels (kitten heels and I’m still a wimp), then drove around trying to find fancy houses. We succeeded. The one we like was merely $995,000. And of course, date night couldn’t be complete without a trip to the pool for a dip in the hot tub. Complete liberation from water wings, a load of towels and swim diapers! We were joined by other retreat attendees as well.
We left the weekend feeling refreshed, and renewed in mind, spirit and vows.
Monday afternoon, Ella spiked a 104.1 degree fever. She was in a good mood, just a little slower than usual. Loran happened to be working from home, and Mondays are one of days our pediatrician’s office has evening hours, so with a phone call, we were off to the doctor awhile later. Ella was diagnosed with a sinus infection and put on antibiotics. Poor child has had a cold for over a month, plus a little allergy fun. It’s been a very snotty month at our house, the tissue manufactures are in the black! (Partially because Lillian feels the need to have a tissue every time Ella does) Of course, after her first dose, she was bouncing back quickly. Luckily, she doesn’t mind this medicine and takes it easily, otherwise two weeks would be a long struggle. I think it helps that we seem to acquire a new Veggie Tales movie every time one of the two needs to have a prescription filled. Larry and Bob can make anyone smile.
Because Ella had a fever, she was banned from school and activities until she’d been fever free for 24 hours. Of course, she woke up fever free and full of moxie. No morning school, afternoon school or MOPS for Lily and I. We decided to make the most of our day and went to get Ella’s hair cut. While I love her long locks, she hates having her hair brushed and cared for. While she enjoys rocking a side ponytail, getting her to sit for her trademark look isn’t easy. Luckily, she rocks a short bob just as well and we all like less tears in the morning – and less goo in her hair (remember, it’s been a snotty month). Lillian really enjoyed watching Ella get her hair cut, but was more interested in coloring as much as possible while she was able. That girl loves to color! With another four inches of hair trimmed off, I think Ella’s probably had two feet of hair removed from her head in her short life. Wow!
Aside from the sinuses and weekend retreat, we’ve been pretty normal: running around outside, playing dolls and using imaginations, going on walks, coloring, tormenting the cats – the usual little girl stuff. We did misplace both of Lillian’s puppies for a few days. While Lily didn’t make a big fuss about it, once we finally found the two under Ella’s bed, there was much rejoicing and Lily’s going to bed a bit easier with her cuddle buddies.
No comments:
Post a Comment