Friday, July 6, 2012

Dental Hygiene for the Preschool Set

We attempted something that has not traditionally had good results at our house previously – a dental visit. Specifically, a dental visit for those of us who do not even have our adult teeth.  We attempted this with Ella back in July of 2010. That visit is chronicled here. The result? We didn’t even get charged. Despite her going, sitting in the chair and being seen…she did not open her mouth. At all.

This time, we went with a new tactic. A children’s specific dentist. The dentist Loran and I see is plenty nice, but it lacks for flair and excitement. Even I don’t really enjoy going. Insert Kid Grins. I think the girls would gladly go see Dr. Amey every day if given the choice. They loved it! Ella even sat still enough to be x-rayed (Lily’s too young). I was floored. Both girls sat side-by-side in their dental chairs and had their little teeth counted, polished and flossed. They left with a bag of goodies, photos of themselves with Dr. Amey, and tiaras. Seriously? I’d go to the dentist happily if I got a tiara too!

IMG_1709IMG_1710

IMG_1713IMG_1715

IMG

IMG_1714

Almost a month has passed and there is still great excitement when the girls get to brush their teeth with their new toothbrushes and use their new toothpaste. Ella may have a flossing addiction… Ella hasn’t cared this much about her dental health since we had Aunt Chelsey’s college roommate, Megan (a dental hygienist student), have a little talk with Ella about the importance of taking care of her teeth – that worked pretty well!

No comments: