Monday, October 1, 2012

Go Bears!

The last four years, I’ve made a little tradition starting with Ella and branching out to Lily. We go to the homecoming parade through town. It’s a great parade, it lasts about 10 minutes, there’s a fire truck and police cars, and ample candy.

The only downside of the parade is the ample middle school and young high school students. I know I’m now old when I find their behavior obnoxious and seriously considered talking to a few of them. Especially the middle school boys across from us who were using the candy as a projectile weapon aimed at the students on the floats. While I didn’t like them throwing the candy at the participants, I really didn’t like when they missed their intended targets and candy whipped past my babies heads. Momma bear was ready to attack should the time come. Thankfully, I could put my claws away when a teacher approached them and used that tried and true behavioral modification approach of proximity. 

After picking the girls up from school, we stopped at the bakery to get a little treat of “sprinkler cookies” and then found a good parade viewing position. Unfortunately, it was a grey, drizzly day and we had to dodge a few raindrops while waiting for the festivities, but the girls didn’t seem to mind. They busied themselves with some decorative rocks surrounding a tree.

IMG_2363

The bears colors are orange and black, not purple and rainbow stripes in case you were wondering.

IMG_2364IMG_2365

The girls were rather conservative with their candy collection, but carefully put each piece in their sweatshirt pockets. However, my faith in teenagers was somewhat restored when a group of very nice girls came up to my girls and offered their candy which Ella and Lily gratefully accepted and packed into their pockets. They only managed to eat a few pieces before it was confiscated. One candy piece did show up during a shake down of Lily’s sweatshirt a week later which she quickly made disappear before Mom could put it in the out-of-reach candy bowl.

No comments: